• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hi From An Interested Party In Uk!

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hello folks, I've been keeping a close eye on developments of the Elio from across the Atlantic. I've been saying for years that we all commute in vehicles which are far too big and heavy, especially when driving alone. I used to commute on a motorcycle but it's not practical for my line of work. In the 1980s I looked at designing my own lighweight three wheeler commuter car with the intention of keeping dry and warm. I came up with some sketches and made a balsa wood chassis to check its rigidity, and I was treated with great scepticism. The car never got built but the idea remains. The Elio is exactly what I intended to build for myself.

I have two Suzuki Swift 993cc G10 engines. One is in the original car, which will soon be given to my daughter to drive, but the other will be fitted in my "Liege" home built trials car later this year. The latter presently runs with a tuned 850cc Reliant engine.

Having looked at the Elio engine it's immediately obvious that it's an upgraded G10! It even appears to use an off the shelf Suzuki water pump and have a standard Suzuki gearbox bolt pattern (nothing's been said about the transmission). This is no bad thing because the G10 is a cracking little motor. Those concerned about performance of the Elio with 55 bhp need not worry, having driven the Swift on our busy motorways, it has no trouble keeping up with other traffic and the G10 produces only 52 bhp.

I won't be putting down a deposit because it's too early to know if the Elio will be usable in UK. However, if it proves to be so, I'll happily trade in my BMW!

Last edited:

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi and welcome! I hope (for the longevity of the company) they are able to follow through on their plans to expand internationally. The engines you see are just for the prototype, Elio will be building it's own engine (developed bu IAV).

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi Neal, thanks for your welcome.

I was referring to to the IAV engine now being put on display on the photos of the factory road shows. The similarities to the Suzuki G10 used in the prototypes are very obvious.

I don't think it would take much to get 70 bhp from this engine, albeit at the expense of fuel economy. My Suzuki Swift gives about 55 mpg, albeit on Imperial gallons which are a pint or so more than a US gallon. I drive it at Motorway speeds when commuting, 70mph is no challenge for the car. To be honest, as long as the Elio equalled that, and it should have no problem bettering those figures, I'd be very happy.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hello folks, I've been keeping a close eye on developments of the Elio from across the Atlantic. I've been saying for years that we all commute in vehicles which are far too big and heavy, especially when driving alone. I used to commute on a motorcycle but it's not practical for my line of work. In the 1980s I looked at designing my own lighweight three wheeler commuter car with the intention of keeping dry and warm. I came up with some sketches and made a balsa wood chassis to check its rigidity, and I was treated with great scepticism. The car never got built but the idea remains. The Elio is exactly what I intended to build for myself.

I have two Suzuki Swift 993cc G10 engines. One is in the original car, which will soon be given to my daughter to drive, but the other will be fitted in my "Liege" home built trials car later this year. The latter presently runs with a tuned 850cc Reliant engine.

Having looked at the Elio engine it's immediately obvious that it's an upgraded G10! It even appears to use an off the shelf Suzuki water pump and have a standard Suzuki gearbox bolt pattern (nothing's been said about the transmission). This is no bad thing because the G10 is a cracking little motor. Those concerned about performance of the Elio with 55 bhp need not worry, having driven the Swift on our busy motorways, it has no trouble keeping up with other traffic and the G10 produces only 52 bhp.

I won't be putting down a deposit because it's too early to know if the Elio will be usable in UK. However, if it proves to be so, I'll happily trade in my BMW!
Hi and welcome from the West Coast of the USA. I have been watching you watching us and hoped you would jump in and talk to us. It is a pleasure to have you on board and I look forward to reading more of your posts even though the technical ones are way over my head. We have a young man here who is also in the UK but he is there in one of the US services. His name is Doni. Enjoy the journey and adventure of watching the progression and development of this exciting new vehicle. We will let you know what we think when we actually get to drive it. :-) Z

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score

On the bright side, they won't have to change from left drivers seat to right seat to sell in the UK :) If you want to get the Elio while it's only sold in the US & you verify you can use it in the UK I'm sure that someone here will be happy to take your $1k to do a deposit for you.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On the bright side, they won't have to change from left drivers seat to right seat to sell in the UK :) If you want to get the Elio while it's only sold in the US & you verify you can use it in the UK I'm sure that someone here will be happy to take your $1k to do a deposit for you.

The problem in UK is legislative rather than practical. Any new vehicle needs type approval before it can be registered. For personal imports and non European Type Approved vehicles such as the Elio we have a thing called the IVA test (individual type approval test) to get through before it could be registered and used on the road. For a car this costs over £500, obviously to be paid for by the owner.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hello folks, I've been keeping a close eye on developments of the Elio from across the Atlantic.

Wheaters, welcome to the forum from someone who was stationed at RAF Mildenhall in the mid 80's. Hope you continue to follow the Elio and become one of the first Elio owners in the UK.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver

Wheaters, welcome! Will be great to get your perspective, as you follow things from the UK!

Help us with some of your phrases... or at least I need the help... "... the G10 is a cracking little motor". What does cracking mean in this context? Also, 55 bhp... what's the 'b' describing on the horsepower? Very interesting to hear about your designs in the 80's, and your continued pursuit of putting your G10 engine in a home-built trial car. Keep us posted.

Top Bottom