• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hi From An Interested Party In Uk!

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome all, much appreciated.

Jeff, the expression "cracking" in this context means excellent.

The abbreviation bhp = brake horse power. Brake as in the brake machine used to apply load to an engine to measure output.

I think British horses are the same size as the ones in USA so no difference in meaning.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My Liege at Mallory Park race circuit a few years ago.

DSC_5236.jpg
PiP PiP!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6z49xy2wLbjbfbWKfoQo3yFeEhm0B9VPkpqgx6OXO830MH7tQkw.jpg
upload_2014-7-25_11-30-11.jpeg
Crikey!
http://www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml

Last edited:

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hello folks, I've been keeping a close eye on developments of the Elio from across the Atlantic. I've been saying for years that we all commute in vehicles which are far too big and heavy, especially when driving alone. I used to commute on a motorcycle but it's not practical for my line of work. In the 1980s I looked at designing my own lighweight three wheeler commuter car with the intention of keeping dry and warm. I came up with some sketches and made a balsa wood chassis to check its rigidity, and I was treated with great scepticism. The car never got built but the idea remains. The Elio is exactly what I intended to build for myself.

I have two Suzuki Swift 993cc G10 engines. One is in the original car, which will soon be given to my daughter to drive, but the other will be fitted in my "Liege" home built trials car later this year. The latter presently runs with a tuned 850cc Reliant engine.

Having looked at the Elio engine it's immediately obvious that it's an upgraded G10! It even appears to use an off the shelf Suzuki water pump and have a standard Suzuki gearbox bolt pattern (nothing's been said about the transmission). This is no bad thing because the G10 is a cracking little motor. Those concerned about performance of the Elio with 55 bhp need not worry, having driven the Swift on our busy motorways, it has no trouble keeping up with other traffic and the G10 produces only 52 bhp.

I won't be putting down a deposit because it's too early to know if the Elio will be usable in UK. However, if it proves to be so, I'll happily trade in my BMW!

Well Wheaters, driving the Elio in the UK should NOT be difficult; I mean, you sit in the MIDDLE of the car, so there is no right/left side steering to be concerned with.

Like Eric Burden and the Animals said back in their 60's song; "San Francisco Nights," " save all your bread, and fly Trans World Airways. . . . . it WILL be worth it!"

You can pick up your Elio when the time comes.

CHEERS old Chap

Last edited:

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Pip, pip?

You been watching those old black and white English films? :rolleyes:

But my dog's called Pip!

Fawlty Towers:
As time goes by,Downton Abbey,Rumpole of the Bailey are favs......
as are all of Le Carre'......Spent some very quality time in UK! Cheers!

100px-Rumpole.png

PS: Pip pip cheerio, chins up, stiff upper lip & all that rot! :D

Last edited:

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's been quite some time since I logged in to this forum, at least a couple of years. I thought I'd see how the Elio project is looking.
I'm very sorry to have to say that it's not looking good. I always thought that Paul Elio had set his sights too high; I wish he'd built a few cars to get them seen out and about - they would have been the company's best advert. Good luck to those who have paid a deposit; I hope things still work out for the best.

My Liege is now running the Suzuki G10 engine but with a supercharger setup of my own design and build; it's been on the road for about a year and a half and has done about 5,500 miles. It has the same power to weight ratio as my BMW 330D. Great fun, but forget anything to do with good fuel economy.

Top Bottom