• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hobbies Of Elio Owners

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been told I'm a bit of a Renaissance man. Past hobbies have included doing engravers' script calligraphy using a dip pen, which got me into pen collecting (400+ fountain, ballpoint, pencil and rollerball). I've also restored many back into working condition. Richad, I don't need even one more pen, but I do enjoy the steampunk resurgence.

I continue to have an abiding interest in comedy films from the Golden Age of Comedy (the 1920s and 1930s), have started two local chapters of Laurel & Hardy buffs known as the Sons of the Desert. A British Son introduced my to the banjo ukelele (a 1930s fad), and I now own 3, though rarely play. Years ago I went on the first and fifth Great Ohio Bicycle Adventure, a week long tour. I recently got back into biking, having acquired an old Peugeot recumbent made by Quetzal of Canada. Given Atlanta's hills, it's only been on bike trails and ridden in the neighborhood. It's a good CLWB first recumbent, but I may upgrade for something lighter (it's 44 pounds).

I decided the best, and least costly way to hold down the mileage on my aging Crown Vic was to buy a motorcycle for commuting and errands. I had a motorcycle in college (Yamaha YDS3C Big Bear), and due to an old leg injury, ended up with a Yamaha Majesty maxi-scooter, quite similar to the one in my avatar. The Elio will be its replacement. A couple years ago I realized we had 7 Yamahas in the family, most being music related, so my license tag is "7 Yamaha." This, too, will be retired when the Elio arrives.And, yes, I do enjoy an occasional drag, dirt track or NASCAR race.

I've been a lifelong occasional target shooter, and keep meaning to finish the assembly of my Dillon reloading press.

This forum seems to have wormed its way into the forefront of hobbies, even displacing my most recent one which was becoming a couch potato with a goal. What's that? It's deciding to see all (well, most all) the films the public library owns before paying for a Netflix subscription. After six months, I've gotten to those that start with "C."

Last edited:

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 2939 My hobbies are many. I'm a photography buff, I tinker with my 1957 MGA, 2005 Harley Custom Super Glide and I make a line of personalized gift products with my laser engraving machine. Currently my line consists of 94 different and unique items. If your curious go to my etsy site at www.etsy.com/shop/richardglass1
Very nice :) I think your style would translate great to lamps/lampshades.

Donnaples

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Hi future Elio Owners...

Just wanted to know what hobbies future Elio owners have across the nation...

Mine is raising fish, Rainbow Trout in fact, because the books say you can't do it in a urban city... I have had them for over 3 years and they are still going strong... taste good too...

Just because they say it " Can't be done "... does not make it true!!

Kind of like starting a new Autocycle company from the bottom up...

I have about 50+ which are anywhere from 3-8 lbs. some of the big one's are about 28" long...8-? lbs...

I also do Aquaponics, which is growing food using fish waste water to grow plants.. View attachment 2060

This whole system cleans the water for the fish and feeds the plants at the same time...

RC Drone for taking pictures and videos of my Elio meets is my next new hobby...

So what are YOUR hobbies...

Proud to Be... an Elio owner #2225
I used to grow stuff using fish stuff too. Now I fart around with cars and such. Trying to get a cheap garage lift, gettin' too old to be crawling.
Proud to be a potential owner # 7622

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lots of stuff, photography,blacksmithing,wade fishing and poke boating, hunting, following this forum. I guess I collect unusual knowledge, learn about something, and then, move on to the next think that tickes my ( ohhh there goes a squirrel) interest. I used to ride a motorcycle a lot, so many folks on the road not paying attention nowadays, that I don't ride much anymore. Probably the most time is presently spent coaching young men and ladies in Olympic Skeet. A little sporting clays and crazy , anything fast paced is interesting. I have tried every shotgun game except ZZ birds, and will try that when I get a chance. Vintage skeet ,along with the olympic version are my favorites. Vintage skeet lets me induldge in my affinity for old pump guns. I like old blued steel and walnut firearms, long bows,and recurves. Shooting them , working on or restoring,and studing them. Flintlock long rifles are a ball. I spend my working life mired in the hi tech world of today, hi tech is not welcome in my personal time. I make exception for this forum, the cast bullet forum, and my Canon camera:)
Oh .. 2 kids, 1 wifey and 4 cats for the calm time !

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just got my first potato from my container garden. I don't think it is going to fill me up. It is only 1 inch in diameter. LOL :) Z
YOu sound like a candidate for growing the Heirloom varieties of tomatoes. There is a lady in Brighton Tn who specialized in these plants. She even gave me 3 or 4 varieties of the cherry or plumb tomatoes just to get me started. She's known as the "Tomato Girl". http://www.tomatobabycompany.com/ She sell the seeds or plants for all the heirloom tomatoes. Just good friendly people.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've begun researching a mystery and I'm not certain to call it an adventure or perhaps what might be called a hobby. I met a man way back in the 70s that has fostered this mystery starting around 1975. He's dead now but before he died he told me a story of himself that was too preposterous not to be true. I started my insurance career as a debit agent in some of the poorest neighborhoods in Memphis. I met him there. A very private person and of very few words. He was bed ridden and so he was always in bed when I came to collect his little $4.50 fire policy. He always had two stately looking (almost statuesque) Collies always attentively sitting on his right and left in bed. Once in passing he intimated that he was full blooded Cherokee. Honestly, he looked as caucasian as me though. Over time he became more cordial and conversational. As a history buff I brought up the subject of Andrew Jackson and the Trail of Tears and how Andrew Jackson violated a hard fought all the way to the Supreme court ruling. Andrew Jackson used Federal and State Militia to march the entire Cherokee Nation to an Oklahoma reservation. I'll never forget the expression on his face upon my mentioning this. The red came up into his face and even his eyes became blood shot.
That aught strike curiosity in us all as to what in the world was a full blooded Cherokee Indian doing bed ridden on street named Standridge in a poor section of Memphis Tennessee in 1975.

Knowing a little of the Cherokee story only adds to the mystery. Up till then I thought all Cherokees were from Northern Georgia, North Carolina, and East Tennessee. He informed me that there were tribes in Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Alabama, and Mississippi, and even east Texas at the time of Andrew Jackson’s fiasco. At the expense of politeness and sensitivity I popped the obvious question. With the tragedy of the Trail of Tears what and how did you end up here in Memphis? I warned you this is preposterous but here is exactly what he had to said;

He told me his age was 55 and that he and his sister were the last full blooded Cherokee Indians alive from his tribe in West Tennessee. he said I was a Chief of this tribe and my sister was a Cherokee Indian Princes. He said that his tribe did not go on the trail of tears march and that his tribe fought to the last man leaving this tribe so depleted in population that he and his sister were the last two remaining from that Tribe. He also claimed that he and his sister were the soul owners of a vast track of land deep in the Forked Deer River bottoms in West Tennessee. I don’t remember the size but it was the remnant of the reservation sanctioned by the Federal Government and that the land would revert to the State ownership at the death of he and his sister.

As time went on and he became friendlier he promised that if his illness subsided enough that he would take me fishing on that reservation. He claimed that the Forked Deer River bottoms were so dense he could get me lost on land that no white man had ever transversed.

That fishing trip never happened and indeed I’m left with the mystery of the location of that reservation. If you think I’ve spread a little too much lore here is one more about this Man. He claimed to be a fighter pilot in the United States Air Force. He claimed to have flown from P51s all the way up until the F100s. I don’t remember if he was a Wild Weasel in Viet Nam but I can assure you his aeronautical knowledge was superb. You see I’m very much a buff on Aircraft from that era and I saw no flaws in his knowledge of such.

So there you have it. One might call this a hobby or an obsession but it would seem to me the volition of this story might be more credulous if I could find some record or reference of that Reservation. And so I continue to research when I have the time.
There is an addendum to this story that has resulted in an unexpected benefit to me and my hobby of making unique jewelry. I’ll mention it soon.

Top Bottom