• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hotwheels/matchbox Elio

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At the LA show, Paul was a few minutes late to his presentation, because he was talking to the Matchbox or Hot Wheels marketers.
So has anyone heard more about that? I would love to buy a dozen of those myself.

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd get one in Red, Orange, Green, and Blue. I'd never take them out of the box and I'd keep them as collectables. Then whichever color vehicle I end up getting, I'll get the same color hotwheels and open that one up and stick it to the dash of my car. Would be cool. Very meta.

Charles Stanley

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I wrote to Matchbox / Mattel and Elio motors more than a year ago suggesting they get together and offer us an Elio replica. EM said they would forward my suggestion to the appropriate person. But they have as far as I know not said anything publicly about any plan to do this. Cameron that owns Elio Wear and I have talked about this too. He says that to have a replica made requires a commitment to buy a minimum that numbers in the tens of thousands. If anyone at EM is planning to offer replicas, this is likely a big speed bump. No one is going to want to lay out that much $$$ unless they have it and can be pretty sure they will sell enough of them. Just because a few of us say we will buy several of them is not enough for anyone to risk that much money. I believ we will get our chance to buy a replica of the Elio. but I'd be surprised if it happens any time soon.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
WHY DOESN'T SOME SMALLER ENTERPRISE 3-D PRINT THEM TO ORDER ?

THEY COULD DO THEM IN THE COLOR OF YOUR CHOICE AND EVEN TO THE
SCALE OF YOUR CHOICE !

SURE , IT WOULD BE A BIT MORE EXPENSIVE THAN A DIE CAST MODEL ,
BUT THEY DON'T NEED TO MAKE ANY THAT ARE NOT ALREADY ORDERED
AND PAID FOR .

Actually, I've been studying AriLea's .stl file, and printing it would be pretty sketchy unless you had a dual head printer to lay down dissolvable support material. Going to try to import and modify from Designspark Mechanical when I get some time. I'm thinking if I removed the suspension and wheels so the body sits flat on the print bed it might come out much cleaner, and print the wheels and suspension separate (snap together if I do it right).

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ah Ha! Since I'm off 'vacuum duty' until the Bronco game is over, I decided to see if I could get Ari's "Year One Elio" model to load. Turns out I needed to download an older version of the SketchUp file, and then convert it to a .rsdoc DesignSpark Mechanical file that "should" allow me to disassemble the model. Don't know how far I'll get, but it beats sucking water out of a leaking basement!:rolleyes:

Pic of the model loaded in Designspark Mechanical:

Elio3Dmodel.JPG

Top Bottom