• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

How Far Is Your Trip?

R80RTWoody

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Assigned delivery date will be a factor, but fly to Shreveport from Fairbanks or Boise, then road trip 1,800 miles to Marsing, ID.. Depending on season of year, put in storage or hit the road to Fairbanks 2,600 miles. Just drove the ALCAN and didn't see anything that might be an Elio issue except flying road gravel (and lotts of truck traffic south of Ft. Nelson!). Will look at installing a set of driver LEDs at some point and cc (think this will be standard) is a must. Am leaning towards the gray color and will add dark green pannels in some form. Orange makes more sense when visibility is a concern and hasn't been rulled out! Standard transmission! Another plus for Elio - going through US and Can. customs should be a snap!!

WAYNE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Assigned delivery date will be a factor, but fly to Shreveport from Fairbanks or Boise, then road trip 1,800 miles to Marsing, ID.. Depending on season of year, put in storage or hit the road to Fairbanks 2,600 miles. Just drove the ALCAN and didn't see anything that might be an Elio issue except flying road gravel (and lotts of truck traffic south of Ft. Nelson!). Will look at installing a set of driver LEDs at some point and cc (think this will be standard) is a must. Am leaning towards the gray color and will add dark green pannels in some form. Orange makes more sense when visibility is a concern and hasn't been rulled out! Standard transmission! Another plus for Elio - going through US and Can. customs should be a snap!!
Sorry Woody, the Cruise Control is an option at this time. Maybe they will change that.:(

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
640 miles from the factory in Shreveport to my home in Cumming, GA. Almost all the trip will be the 610 miles on I-20 from Shreveport straight east to Atlanta.

My plan is to have a buddy of mine, who is a private pilot, fly me into Shreveport as he is always looking for an excuse to fly would love it if I pay for his fuel. This wouldn't actually save me any money but spending time with a friend while not having to deal with the hassles of commercial air travel is well worth it. I would get a ride to the plant and take the tour then pick up my car. I would probably have a motel room for the night so I can get a goods nights rest before setting out early the next morning.

Before hitting the road I would top off the fuel and reset the trip meter then go until the fuel warning light comes on. At this point I can fill the tank again and the amount I put in will be equal to what I just used along the way. Divide my trip meter number by the amount of fuel I put in and I will know my average mpg and also how far I can go until the light comes on. With the help of mapping software I can also verify the mileage traveled which will tell me if the speedo is close to accurate or off by a decent margin.

Last edited:

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
. . . With the help of mapping software I can also verify the mileage traveled which will tell me if the speedo is close to accurate or off by a decent margin.
If you have a smartphone with GPS or a standalone GPS, you can very easily determine speedo accuracy with a quick comparison.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1,601 Miles 22hrs If its possible(schedule, work, etc) to take factory delivery I will but ill probably put a little more on the odometer to look around Texas and Louisiana

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have a smartphone with GPS or a standalone GPS, you can very easily determine speedo accuracy with a quick comparison.

I would use the GPS also but it does help to get a good average over a long distance as the calculation should be a bit more accurate than a spot check with the GPS. Luckily as the odometer works off the same system as the speedometer this is really easy to do.

Autoxdriver

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
950 miles, 14hrs. Wonder if Elio can score discount plane fares to Shreveport. I'd bed down in Atlanta on the way back and visit old friends.

Top Bottom