• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

How Far Is Your Trip?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am so thrilled! Well maybe not. It seems the mileage I quoted above (I got suspicious) is by the way a bird flies. So the new Rand McNally mileage is:
Shreveport to home 2,476.1 mi
OR
Shreveport to Toledo, OH to visit #1 son 1026.3 mi
Toledo, OH to Lynnwood, WA to visit #2 son 2,326.6 mi.
Lynnwood, WA to home 356.7
Total trip visiting sons (not counting any side trips) 3,709.6
Whee! Now that is some adventure! But wait! I have already made trips directly across the country but I have never taken the northern route. Why not make an even longer trip by going by way of Glacier National Park. And I always loved Pictured Rocks National Lake Shore in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Hmmmmmm Do you think 1 month is going to be enough time? LOL :-) Z

Do you think the bank will loan me enough money for the car and the Mini Mate Tent Trailer that I have picked out in Pennsylvania? I could always offer to have advertising wrap put on both. LOL

All of you had better order up a lot better weather for when I make this trip. No way do I want to share your winter weather. :-) Z

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is not a matter of if but when. I have other things that have to happen first. LOL Besides I hate going under the knife! And I don't take pain meds. I would rather swim! :) Z
I understand.. I had scope surgery on my knee due to torn cartilage and had no choice, couldn't hardly walk.. Feel like a million bucks now :)

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am so thrilled! Well maybe not. It seems the mileage I quoted above (I got suspicious) is by the way a bird flies. So the new Rand McNally mileage is:
OR
Whee! Now that is some adventure! But wait! I have already made trips directly across the country but I have never taken the northern route. Why not make an even longer trip by going by way of Glacier National Park. And I always loved Pictured Rocks National Lake Shore in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Hmmmmmm Do you think 1 month is going to be enough time? LOL :) Z

Do you think the bank will loan me enough money for the car and the Mini Mate Tent Trailer that I have picked out in Pennsylvania? I could always offer to have advertising wrap put on both. LOL

All of you had better order up a lot better weather for when I make this trip. No way do I want to share your winter weather. :) Z
Hmm I bet my trip would much longer too.. I am pretty far north from there..

R80RTWoody

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
OR
Whee! Now that is some adventure! But wait! I have already made trips directly across the country but I have never taken the northern route. Why not make an even longer trip by going by way of Glacier National Park. And I always loved Pictured Rocks National Lake Shore in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Hmmmmmm Do you think 1 month is going to be enough time? LOL :) Z

All of you had better order up a lot better weather for when I make this trip. No way do I want to share your winter weather. :) Z
Now, that's a trip! Still not convinced that I want to pull a trailer. Will look closely at removing the rear seat for camping gear storage and also a spot for one 70-80 lb dog. Might have to build a removable wood platform over the seat attachment system but feel fairly certain that there is lots of room for everything that I'll (we'll) need for long trips.
Hope there is a way to set up the Elio with after market tires at the point of pickup. The time of year for delivery/pickup will certainly influence how I tackle the trip home and what tires I will be riding on!
"Cub" flying experience shows that on a cold day,the front seat gets heat and the back seat "bundles". Unless the Elio has heating ducts going to the back seat area, the pilot (driver) is an air block.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Now, that's a trip! Still not convinced that I want to pull a trailer. Will look closely at removing the rear seat for camping gear storage and also a spot for one 70-80 lb dog. Might have to build a removable wood platform over the seat attachment system but feel fairly certain that there is lots of room for everything that I'll (we'll) need for long trips.
Hope there is a way to set up the Elio with after market tires at the point of pickup. The time of year for delivery/pickup will certainly influence how I tackle the trip home and what tires I will be riding on!
"Cub" flying experience shows that on a cold day,the front seat gets heat and the back seat "bundles". Unless the Elio has heating ducts going to the back seat area, the pilot (driver) is an air block.

If you are on your own or just you and the dog you can likely pack everything you need if you are creative with the space. For a lot of us we need to carry two adults and gear comfortably so a trailer is likely our best option.

We will just have to wait and see however I am sure Elio will have a whole bunch of options you can choose from to customize your vehicle right away and upgraded tires and wheels are likely to be options just like on many vehicles.

I believe I did read somewhere that rear seat ducts would be an option. I am trying to find it to make sure I am remembering that right.

R80RTWoody

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
If you are on your own or just you and the dog you can likely pack everything you need if you are creative with the space. For a lot of us we need to carry two adults and gear comfortably so a trailer is likely our best option.

We will just have to wait and see however I am sure Elio will have a whole bunch of options you can choose from to customize your vehicle right away and upgraded tires and wheels are likely to be options just like on many vehicles.

I believe I did read somewhere that rear seat ducts would be an option. I am trying to find it to make sure I am remembering that right.

Goofyone, agree totally that two adults or even an adult and child will probably need additional "trip"cargo space unless commercial rest services are used. If rear seat heating ducts are available - one way or another - I'll add them to my "needs" list. Our 4 Toyota vehicles all wear "one make" of tires for winter and the same make for summer use. Even tho the Elio is front wheel drive, traction weight on the tires is a concern. Think it'll be enough. Went over Elk Mountain Wyoming- Interstate during last December in a blizzard, 2 wheel drive with 4 studded tires and a load in the bed with no problem. The same could not be said for 2 (probably no load with large trailer side surfaces) big rigs that were blown off the road. Sounds like the Elio has been designed to minimize the effect of side winds. Goot!!

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
434 miles 6 hours 41 minutes driving plus $18 in gas (Amtrak $62 and 10 hours OR Am Air $121 and 2.5 hours both with layovers getting there.
I'll trade you trips. My very long trip is posted above and it doesn't include a side trip to Pennsylvania to pickup the Mini Mate Camper Trailer. I figure 1 month ought to be enough to do the entire trip and still survive. LOL :-) Z

Greycat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It will be 1,480 miles for me if interstate all the way. But if I am going half way across the country I might as well make a vacation out of it. If the season is right, I will take the new Elio through the Smokey mountains and visit a few places I haven't been in years, ride the Dragon, visit Dollywood (just kidding), and drive the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way north.

Top Bottom