• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

How Lighting Can Change A Color & What Do Car Colors Reflect Of Owner

DailyLunatic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Creamsicle_Top.jpg
Got an email from Elio a while ago, opened it, saw the image above, thought it was an announcement that they were going to offer the car in yellow, was pleased because that's the color I "really" want.

Then I read the email and there's nothing about color. Looked at the info on the pic and it's a "creamsicle". Doesn't look "orange" to me, looks yellow, except for the hood. Am I the only one fooled by this pic?

[Broken External Image]

Could be a couple of things;

1] When is the last time you had your monitor calibrated? I use an amateur level Datacolor Spyder, but there are several monitor calibration tools on the market. To me the image looks Ye****'ish, a light orange, but not Ye****.

2] Could be that the monitor on their end was not calibrated. I personally doubt this. Most likely these sorts of things are handed to a media company and not done at Elio per se. (could be wrong, just guessing)

3] Could be the monkey behind the monitor was the artistic type and just liked the looks of the lighter color better, truth of the matter be dammed. Depends on the number of levels of approval this had to go through.

4] Another could be White Balance.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/white-balance.htm
I never shoot using a WB Card unless in studio. I just shoot RAW and adjust post to my personal taste (me as the monkey, see #3 above). However, if no WB Card was used, then the monkey (again, see #3 above) does not know, rather, cannot know, the 'real' color and just had to take a stab at it. (...and apparently got it wrong)

5] This is where 'lighting' comes in. Unless one is using gels (or colored lights) this should not be an issue as one always <ahem> uses WB when color accuracy is required. My personal take on this is that even if the 'lighting' changed the color of the image, it is not the lighting at 'fault'. Rather is it the lack of WB to correct for whatever lighting was used. Tungsten, florescent, strobe, LEDs, daylight, etc, each have a different color temperature, and will thus 'look' blue, or orange, etc, in an uncorrected pic. Can't be, or shouldn't be Lighting's fault.

I'm betting on a combination of #3, & #4...

Just my take...

-sterling

Moe Faster

Reaction score
ima go with the standard "Arrest Me" red handed . . . my old Dakota pickup truck is red, Beverly my VTX motorcycle is red, seems to be a pattern
I would hope we could get a template of the Elio so that we could design our own wraps uniquely, not by just changing color but by adding racing stripes, pin striping, flames, & grafix from Godzilla to My Little Pony . . . can't wait to see some

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
ima go with the standard "Arrest Me" red handed . . . my old Dakota pickup truck is red, Beverly my VTX motorcycle is red, seems to be a pattern
I would hope we could get a template of the Elio so that we could design our own wraps uniquely, not by just changing color but by adding racing stripes, pin striping, flames, & grafix from Godzilla to My Little Pony . . . can't wait to see some
There are a lot of other places that do wraps; and if you just want stripes, you don't have to get an entire body wrap.
The better places that do it have premade patterns, and they will do whatever you want.

Top Bottom