• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

How This Radical Car Missed Its Chance To Change The World - Maybe!

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is another interesting fact pointed out by the video's graph though not mentioned.

They point out the Tesla's carbon footprint finally equals the Elio after 15 years.

However they do not mention the carbon foot print of the Prius is always poorer than the Elio. The carbon footprint of the Elio is always better than the Prius. Isn't the Prius the holy model adored by environmentalist and worshiped so much?

This means the Elio is actually more environmental friendly than the Prius.

Will Elio Motors ever talk like this, pointing these things out?

That is theoretical vs real. You can’t calculate the carbon footprint of an Elio that doesn’t have a specification package set and tested just like a car. The author doesn’t know the fuel mileage, emissions and emissions over 15 years (which is done in a test cell). So until Elio builds an actual production car that can be tested by a third party, it’s just all talk. Thus the reason why Elio can’t talk about it unless they make it a forward looking statement. Something like, “The Elio has the potential to have a smaller carbon footprint over a Tesla or Prius.”

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is theoretical vs real. You can’t calculate the carbon footprint of an Elio that doesn’t have a specification package set and tested just like a car. The author doesn’t know the fuel mileage, emissions and emissions over 15 years (which is done in a test cell). So until Elio builds an actual production car that can be tested by a third party, it’s just all talk. Thus the reason why Elio can’t talk about it unless they make it a forward looking statement. Something like, “The Elio has the potential to have a smaller carbon footprint over a Tesla or Prius.”
They stated they used an average of city and highway mileage to make their estimation. Note: they never said they were measured values. They made it clear these were estimations. They know the weight of the vehicle and what materials it is made of. Data already exist how much carbon is produced to make these materials. The Elio is deliberately trying to be traditional, using well known and developed components.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This video says something significant: The carbon emissions of the Elio is less than the Tesla for 15 years before the Tesla caught up with the Elio. This is something the environmentalist should be aware of.

First, these are estimations. I'm not going to discuss exactly where the inaccuracies might lie, but I will point out a few things:

1. The numbers are based on California's grid, which isn't the cleanest in the country...and is set to get MUCH cleaner over the next 15 years. This means the Model 3 becomes cleaner every year of those 15 years. This ignores people charging their vehicles via solar, or otherwise off-setting their carbon footprint by purchasing RE power (as I do).

2. It's not a great comparison, as I can transport my entire family in the Model 3, whereas I'd need to purchase at least 3 Elios to do the same thing. It would be better to compare the Elio to something like the Acrimoto.

3. The MPG figure is pure fantasy at this point, which makes it difficult to really make a worthwhile comparison.

The Elio is certainly going to be a MUCH cleaner alternative to other small ICE vehicles, but the point of the video was really to show how efficient the proposed Elio design is, rather than really trying to make particularly accurate claims against BEVs.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They stated they used an average of city and highway mileage to make their estimation. Note: they never said they were measured values. They made it clear these were estimations. They know the weight of the vehicle and what materials it is made of. Data already exist how much carbon is produced to make these materials. The Elio is deliberately trying to be traditional, using well known and developed components.
We still do not know the mileage, weight and emissions output. With that being the case it’s just a guess. Plus, there’s this video:

Sailor Dog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The CG of the silver rocket ELIO is very impressive and I have no doubt that the slipstream final design will easily allow it to have a lower carbon footprint than a Tesla (or any other EV) or my Toyota Prius. Don't expect that many Teslas or other EVs will be around in 15 years to capture the carbon savings prize anyway. Same for ELIO so better to have the savings upfront!

I, like stated in the video, also believe that initial and maybe all funding has been secured since the pre-sale of the Eliocoin and possibly something else wasn't closed after the initial 9/20-10/15 period. Implied possibly in the video.

Could be wrong, but haven't followed companies or trends such as ELIO that didn't lead to a very positive outcome. In the moment, it always feels like it requires the patience of Job. Which I don't have, but I just try to look for other trends as a distraction. Besides, I've never had the chance to invest alongside a winner like OSTK's CEO...a pull yourself up by your bootstraps guy. Just like PE...giving up blood, sweat & tears pounding roof nails in the 120 degree Arizona big hard sun a few years back. I will never give up on the dream about to be realized!

Last edited:

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I, like stated in the video, also believe that initial and maybe all funding has been secured since the pre-sale of the Eliocoin and possibly something else wasn't closed after the initial 9/20-10/15 period. Implied possibly in the video.

I like the silver as well, I think it really suits the vehicle. I am planning on doing a stainless steel wrap if they offer one for the $1k add-on price (most local wraps are about twice that). But I will probably start with a silver base and could very well just stick with that.

But I ask, other than hope what makes you think the Eliocoin pre-sale succeeded? Elio is not the kind to sit on good news and they absolutely are allowed to announce if the pre-sale round has closed, which they did not. In the video I only took note of the one line where they said Elio might have acquired funding, but that sounded like pure speculation.

Phil B

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I liked this video, as a long time all in buyer. The one point at the end of the video is my primary question now CAN ELIO CONVERT TO MAKE THIS AN ELECTRIC VEHICLE? If this one change was made and IF they could keep the initial price at under $12,000 before options, Elio could get backing to start production.

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I liked this video, as a long time all in buyer. The one point at the end of the video is my primary question now CAN ELIO CONVERT TO MAKE THIS AN ELECTRIC VEHICLE? If this one change was made and IF they could keep the initial price at under $12,000 before options, Elio could get backing to start production.
Yes, Elio has said an electric "engine" can be done. However, gas is the ICE is the way to go since it is far cheaper. What is your proof of receiving funding if it were electric?

Top Bottom