• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hp Wars And 200 Mph Super Cars... What Do Elio Owners Think?

charchri4

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With all the press around the 600+ HP Mustangs, Challengers and Camaros, and of course the new Ford GT, I wonder what car owners from the other end of the spectrum think about all these big HP cars.
16083428537_5c85a6ef63.jpg

So what does the common sense in cars crowd you think about the horse power wars and all the overpriced, overpowered cars rolling off the line?

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
its not for me any more but I'm all for it ... having driven out west back when the speed limit on some interstates was Drive At Your Own Risk I've been there, done that and (for the most part) enjoyed the ride .... now days, I don't need a Belchfire Special to run from traffic light to traffic light .... nor is one needed to cruise at interstate speed .... yep, getting older in both mind and body

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
drooling_homer-712749_gif2.png
shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

I love it. The new GT is sex on wheels.

Too much horsepower is just about right. Need to hit the lotto for it though:(

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No bigger picture. What do you think about the cars? Does it make sense for car companies to spend resources trying to break the 3 second 0-60 mark in production cars?
Yes. The technology from race cars (and supercars, in this case) filters down to common models making them safer, more reliable, and more efficient.

Case in point: My 88 Silverado has 165 hp, or did 200,000 miles ago anyway, and gets 11mpg. My 05 has 300hp and gets 17.

I do sense an agenda here though. Got an issue with high performance vehicles?

charchri4

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The observation came from a couple other forums I hang out on. The V8miata guys love everything about the HP wars but the Miata purists on Miata.net think it's completely stupid and that you don't need big HP to have fun with a car. Since everyone that drives an Elio talks about how much fun they are I thought it would be interesting to hear what Elio owners think about the topic.

charchri4

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do sense an agenda here though. Got an issue with high performance vehicles?

You mean other than enough doesn't exist and they are money pits? :eek:

My personal take on high performance vehicles is as long as the car stops and turns as well as it goes the following scale applies. 12 lbs per HP is fun, 10 lbs per HP is really fun, 8 lbs per HP is OMG that's fun and 6 lbs per HP is who needs a mistress with a car like this!

I'm pretty sure that's why my wife puts up with all the hours I'm in the garage building a Miata at 5.5 lbs per HP.... :)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You mean other than enough doesn't exist and they are money pits? :eek:

My personal take on high performance vehicles is as long as the car stops and turns as well as it goes the following scale applies. 12 lbs per HP is fun, 10 lbs per HP is really fun, 8 lbs per HP is OMG that's fun and 6 lbs per HP is who needs a mistress with a car like this!

I'm pretty sure that's why my wife puts up with all the hours I'm in the garage building a Miata at 5.5 lbs per HP.... :)

at 1,200 lbs with 55 hp, that puts an Elio about 22 lbs per HP .... that doesn't put it very high on your scale ... ;)

charchri4

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I ran the numbers on that before I went all in and lots of people have teased me on that. I think the Elio is such a special and unique car it will be very enjoyable in it's own way. My current winter beater is 20 lbs per HP and it's been a great car for me so I'm not worried. It's all good!

Top Bottom