• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hp Wars And 200 Mph Super Cars... What Do Elio Owners Think?

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
The observation came from a couple other forums I hang out on. The V8miata guys love everything about the HP wars but the Miata purists on Miata.net think it's completely stupid and that you don't need big HP to have fun with a car. Since everyone that drives an Elio talks about how much fun they are I thought it would be interesting to hear what Elio owners think about the topic.

I get my kicks from winding roads not straight line acceleration. The engine only matters to me insomuch as I can maintain speed going uphill on the Blue Ridge Parkway :) and merging into highway/interstate traffic when I'm in big cities. My Grand Prix can do 0-60 in 8 seconds, but I have found anything faster than 11 seconds to be workable and the Elio meets that requirement.

My only concern is how well will the Elio hold traction with narrow hard tires and how much wider and more grippy tires will hurt MPG.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a Street Miata and an other with a logbook. A V8 Mustang and a smart car and some motorcycles that are quicker than any of them. We live in the golden Age of motoring if you ask me. Look at the 80's for the low of the auto industry. What makes today so special is you don't need to be a millionaire to have a really nice ride. Today's Mom and Pop radial tires are better than the best race rubber you could buy a short time ago. Computer control has taken driveline management to a new level. Bring it on. What I want most is my Elio that I should be able to drive the wheels off and rise scant attention from the authorities...

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the Elio will be fun to drive even though it has only 55hp. Now make it 120hp even better. I could see making a Slingshot killer for shits and giggles either turbo charging the 3 pot or engine swap.

Keep in mind. Front wheel drive cars are considered to be limited to some threshold of power, unless limited slip or other traction control is used. It's definitely higher than 10lbs per each HP for 4 wheelers and 30% higher than that for a FWD tadpole as the Elio is.

So at 6.7lbs per HP, I'll let you have a max of 180hp, and you are on your own after that. And I want to see that limited slip racing unit in there too young man!

oh yes, your aerodynamic stability with that big engine up front will work out just fine!

-Enjoy

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Keep in mind. Front wheel drive cars are considered to be limited to some threshold of power, unless limited slip or other traction control is used. It's definitely higher than 10lbs per each HP for 4 wheelers and 30% higher than that for a FWD tadpole as the Elio is.

So at 6.7lbs per HP, I'll let you have a max of 180hp, and you are on your own after that. And I want to see that limited slip racing unit in there too young man!

oh yes, your aerodynamic stability with that big engine up front will work out just fine!

-Enjoy

Of course other systems would need improvement. LSD, bigger brakes etc

charchri4

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about the limit on front wheel drive HP. Yes you have torque steer and the wrong weight transfer but there are systems in place to work with that. The GM W bodies with the 5.3 were nearly all over 300 HP and under 6 seconds 0-60. When the car companies give us something to work with it doesn't take long to have plenty of guys with Monti Carlo SSs well over 400 hp.

ncarter124

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm in the big HP crowd, the Elio is an odd choice for me to be honest. The uniqueness is what first drew me to it, not the MPG, I just consider it a bonus. I am getting a Challenger Hellcat in a few months once dealer allocations settle down as they are currently charging $10,000+ for "market adjustments". That has 707hp and is a touch faster than a Corvette Z06 from a roll. I can't wait. I know it's funny to say on this forum, but I never care about MPG. I drive for fun, not for frugality most of the time.

I think my reasoning is because I have reached the point where my career is taking off and I can afford some toys... that I don't want to drive to work every day, which is where the Elio will come into play.......one day.

[Broken External Image]

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm in the big HP crowd, the Elio is an odd choice for me to be honest. The uniqueness is what first drew me to it, not the MPG, I just consider it a bonus. I am getting a Challenger Hellcat in a few months once dealer allocations settle down as they are currently charging $10,000+ for "market adjustments". That has 707hp and is a touch faster than a Corvette Z06 from a roll. I can't wait. I know it's funny to say on this forum, but I never care about MPG. I drive for fun, not for frugality most of the time.

I think my reasoning is because I have reached the point where my career is taking off and I can afford some toys... that I don't want to drive to work every day, which is where the Elio will come into play.......one day.

[Broken External Image]

Hellcat nice! You are smart not to pay the stupid tax. Id like to pick up a Corvette C6 or 996 Porsche in a few years once Elio is paid off

ncarter124

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hellcat nice! You are smart not to pay the stupid tax. Id like to pick up a Corvette C6 or 996 Porsche in a few years once Elio is paid off
I did debate a C7 Z06, a LOT... but at the end of the day, options for options it is another 35 grand...which led me to the reality of "I can have a Z06, or I can have a Hellcat and keep my Jeep" so I went with that.

I read something staggering last night, I watched a retro review of the '93 Twin Turbo Supra, it did a 0-60 in 5.1 and a quarter-mile in 14.0 at 104 mph.
The Camry did 0-60 mph in 5.8 seconds, the quarter-mile in 14.3 at 101 mph. Hard to believe Toyota's performance flagship of yesterday will barely outrun a modern day Camry. Gotta love technology!

Top Bottom