• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Finally Saw It! My Takeaway And Concerns

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I saw the Elio this past weekend in Richmond. I drove almost 4 hours each way with my dad to see it. We arrived about 4pm and there was a small line. I talked with several representatives as well as Jerome Vassallo

1. According to Jerome, the interior color-matched panels will be standard.

2. The dyno testing for the engine takes up to 6 months. When the engine is done, they will build the prototypes for crash testing and press releases.

3. I (6') and my dad (6'5") both fit in the car at the same time (me in backseat, him in driver's seat). Slightly cramped but it would work.

4. The interior panels were made of plastic, similar to the plastic that fisher price uses on it's outdoor toys. I am fine with this, as they are cheap and easy to clean.

5. The trunk is very small, big enough for only a backpack or small bag. I expect to use the rear seat a lot.

6. The final version will have the roof raised 2" to help with head room.

7. The final version will have a softer rear seat.

8. I had tons of forward visibility due to the long windows on my sides. A narrow windshield is no problem.

9. The paint had several cracks which somewhat concerned me. I chalked this up to being a prototype and being handled a lot.

10. All the optional body effects and skirts are a la carte, but no prices yet for options.

11. The Elgin dash is fantastic. The numbers are fine to read and very crisp. Jerome spun the gauges using a battery and they looked great.

12. There is tons of hip and leg room in the drivers seat.

13. I was worried about people not seeing the outrigger wheels, such as when pulling into a parking space next to you. Lights or reflector tape may remedy this.

Overall, I loved the car. It is very utilitarian but is comfortable and offers a big value. Mods feel free to move this if this isn't the place for it

Attachments

• 20141220_173258.jpg
    20141220_173258.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 352
  • 20141220_170827.jpg
    20141220_170827.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 402
  • 20141220_171531.jpg
    20141220_171531.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 398
  • 20141220_172453.jpg
    20141220_172453.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 379
  • 20141220_170513.jpg
    20141220_170513.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 387
  • 20141220_170527.jpg
    20141220_170527.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:

Dooltd

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the photos! I didn't realize they had installed an Elgin dash in the prototype. Do you have any photos of the dash? :cool:

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I saw the Elio this past weekend in Richmond. I drove almost 4 hours each way with my dad to see it. We arrived about 4pm and there was a small line. I talked with several representatives as well as Jerome Vassallo

1. According to Jerome, the interior color-matched panels will be standard.

2. The dyno testing for the engine takes up to 6 months. When the engine is done, they will build the prototypes for crash testing and press releases.

3. I (6') and my dad (6'5") both fit in the car at the same time (me in backseat, him in driver's seat). Slightly cramped but it would work.

4. The interior panels were made of plastic, similar to the plastic that fisher price uses on it's outdoor toys. I am fine with this, as they are cheap and easy to clean.

5. The trunk is very small, big enough for only a backpack or small bag. I expect to use the rear seat a lot.

6. The final version will have the roof raised 2" to help with head room.

7. The final version will have a softer rear seat.

8. I had tons of forward visibility due to the long windows on my sides. A narrow windshield is no problem.

9. The paint had several cracks which somewhat concerned me. I chalked this up to being a prototype and being handled a lot.

10. All the optional body effects and skirts are a la carte, but no prices yet for options.

11. The Elgin dash is fantastic. The numbers are fine o read and very crisp. Jerome spun the guages using a battery and they looked great.

12. There is tons of hip and leg room in the drivers seat.

13. I was worried about people not seeing the outrigger wheels, such as when pulling ino a parking space next to you. Lights or reflector tape may remedy this.

Overall, I loved the car. It is very utilitarian but is comfortable and offers a big value. Mods feel free to move this if this isn't the place for it
JP. glad you liked it . As with most of us we were impressed with what we saw also recognizing it was a prototype. I'm confident most of the small things that we noticed will be corrected in the production model. Thanks for sharing your impressions and your photos.

Top Bottom