• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Had An Epiphany Last Week...

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mustang headlight: $70. Escalade headlight: $711 (both on Amazon)

I just remember Dad having to replace his headlight. There are probably cheaper OEMs available but I know he tried to find a cheaper version and ended up spending a lot more than he was expecting. I think THAT was the main reason he sold it - replacement parts cost.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, my '92 Subaru SVX has always been a car that kept me honing my auto mechanic skills as there seemed to always be something that required me to break out the floor jack and stands. It's an automatic and two weeks ago Thurs. it died pulling out of the driveway heading to work [3am]. Felt like backing up with a standard transmission and not engaging the clutch when braking. Anyway, same morning I'm flying down the highway and hit the cigarette lighter and ALL the dashlights and climate control goes out :mad:! THAT'S IT! TIRED OF MESSING WITH THIS CAR!! Got on Carfax and Cars.com looking for something that "tripped my trigger" and I could drop cash and buy outright. Found a sweet '12 Cadillac CTS Coupe not too far away for $18k [KBB average], so went to check it out. It was love at first sight! I threw an almost insulting low-ball offer, $13.5k cash. I figured the worst that could happen is they'd laugh in my face and kick me off their car lot. Went back and forth, and back and forth, and settle on $14k period including all the little things that dealers like to add on to the bottom line. They took it!:eek: I've been driving it for a week now, and that's when it hit me [the epiphany!] I've been driving CRAP my entire life!! The plan is [but may turn into a 'was'] selling the Caddy when the Elio FINALLY shows up. We'll see when the time comes, I'm getting spoiled by the ride of this baby. Anyway, she looks identical to the pic below. :clap2:

View attachment 21714

I am on my 2nd Suby Baja. When I hit the brakes, the dash lights and radio lights dim. Can you give me an idea how long it will be before it explodes?:oops:

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am on my 2nd Suby Baja. When I hit the brakes, the dash lights and radio lights dim. Can you give me an idea how long it will be before it explodes?:oops:
Sounds like if you keep your foot on the brake there won't be enough electrical energy to produce a spark.
No spark; no ignition; no explosion!

Just keep on stoppin'!

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mustang headlight: $70. Escalade headlight: $711 (both on Amazon)

I just remember Dad having to replace his headlight. There are probably cheaper OEMs available but I know he tried to find a cheaper version and ended up spending a lot more than he was expecting. I think THAT was the main reason he sold it - replacement parts cost.

I've been playing with Porsches for years. I'm immune to 'sticker shock' when it comes to replacement parts. If one, by some miracle, came across a NOS outer door handle for a 914 you could sell if for $500 all day. About the same for a side mirror in good condition. Stupid expensive stuff. I'll have to check, but in one of my catalogs a single brake caliper for a 911SC [don't recall the year] is $2500....each!! :eek: Thank goodness for aftermarket parts!

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nice Caddy! The 65 is my favorite. first year front disc brakes, best trim pieces (in my opinion), and the 64 hood shape. They're not high dollar, and lots of them out there. Thinking about spending my Elio fund on one. The way things are going with EM, I should have time to save up again for an Elio if they ever go into production.

View attachment 21715

My mom drove a '65 for years until she wanted a Caddy . Very cool car . But my favorite T-Bird body style is the ' 62

62 tbird.jpg

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been playing with Porsches for years. I'm immune to 'sticker shock' when it comes to replacement parts. If one, by some miracle, came across a NOS outer door handle for a 914 you could sell if for $500 all day. About the same for a side mirror in good condition. Stupid expensive stuff. I'll have to check, but in one of my catalogs a single brake caliper for a 911SC [don't recall the year] is $2500....each!! :eek: Thank goodness for aftermarket parts!

Back in the day when my 72 240Z was on the road, I did the brakes one summer; this included replacing both front discs. I was on good terms with the parts guy at the dealership in Peoria, and I think OEM discs for the Z were $35 each at the time, but I remember Dick telling me that the discs for his 911 at that time were something like $400 each... :eek: Sheesh.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back in the day when my 72 240Z was on the road, I did the brakes one summer; this included replacing both front discs. I was on good terms with the parts guy at the dealership in Peoria, and I think OEM discs for the Z were $35 each at the time, but I remember Dick telling me that the discs for his 911 at that time were something like $400 each... :eek: Sheesh.
Capitalism at its finest :p

Bamdalam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My mom drove a '65 for years until she wanted a Caddy . Very cool car . But my favorite T-Bird body style is the ' 62

View attachment 21722
Yes, 62's are cool, but I like the gauge cluster. slide away steering wheel, wrap around back seat, sequential signals on the rear taillights (which have made a comeback on some of the new Mustangs), first year for front disc brakes, rear fender skirts, and the fact that the smallest motor available was a 390 big block on the 64 to 66. I know these aren't the most desirable for car collectors, but I've wanted one since the 80's, but never had one. Who cares if they only get 7-10 MPG? LOL. :D

Top Bottom