• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Have Given Up On Elio, Have You?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
So what exactly did you "test drive"? Per my reading of the available information, elio never managed to produce a single, complete, roadworthy vehicle. Only a handful of unfinished prototypes.
Josh, I drove the Black Elio. I had use of it for a couple of days.
It was roadworthy, it's the one that lost it's L.F fender in New York,
The reason it lost the fender is because no one tightened it correctly.
They have to take the fenders off when they are going to trailer it to somewhere.
They didn't lose it, it just fell off, it's in one of the video's

And Josh, where is 87123?
You have it listed as your location

Josh

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Well it's a shame then that elio had (has) a production ready vehicle and no further examples. What power plant was under the hood?

FC

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If an organization or individual decides to bank roll the production of the Elio, they would take way more control than Paul would like. I would expect them to make absolutely sure there is a big enough market for it. Then get the Elio fully engineered, tested, and certified, before they put serious money on production.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some interesting info on the ICE obsolescence timeline.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_fossil_fuel_vehicles

Info on electric vehicles:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4396884-ev-company-news-for-month-of-december-2020

In the first one they talk about the second hand market and that they project that third world countries will be buying lots of used ice vehicles unless there are restrictions on exports. They also talk about restricting based on age. This might be the end of "classic" cars being internationally traded.

By the time Elio might get started some major cities might make them illegal to use because of the emissions.
I feel there is no way for Elio to succeed as an ice vehicle and they would need the engineering support of larger companies to change to batteries. Also consider that the safety laws may change requiring additional features driving up the cost.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Arcimoto ($20K), SOLO ($20K), and possibly Nobe ($30K +-?) designed and engineered EV platformed three wheelers.......so could Elio if anyone was interested in the Elio styling. The Elio attraction for me was the marketed $6800 MSRP and 5 star safety, although thought it was to good to be true from the first Hello Elio marketing campaign. Frankly, $20K is to high for a 1-2 seater commuter.......‘and’ vehicle. $12-15 far more appealing to the masses. Particularly when Tesla is considering a model for under $25K. If it looks even close to this render, I’d buy one as a commuter over any three wheel option:

A36C372B-4295-4478-A824-EDCAC9DD0D09.png

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Arcimoto ($20K), SOLO ($20K), and possibly Nobe ($30K +-?) designed and engineered EV platformed three wheelers.......so could Elio if anyone was interested in the Elio styling. The Elio attraction for me was the marketed $6800 MSRP and 5 star safety, although thought it was to good to be true from the first Hello Elio marketing campaign. Frankly, $20K is to high for a 1-2 seater commuter.......‘and’ vehicle. $12-15 far more appealing to the masses. Particularly when Tesla is considering a model for under $25K. If it looks even close to this render, I’d buy one as a commuter over any three wheel option:

View attachment 24498

I will agree that the main advantage of three wheels is better mileage and lower cost. But if an electric 4-wheel came along at a good price that also has decent range (+200 miles) it would be a better choice for me too.

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As far as I know, they still lease the plant. One politician said they sold everything, but Paul has said they kept equipment that can be used to build the Elio. Always thought it would be neat if someone down there could scale a fence and take a peek inside.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
That's it, give people new ideas to report back on.
And when they get caught, they'll blame Elio Owners because it was their idea.....WRONG!!!!
If someone does it, they thought it up on their own.
This way, EO isn't responsible for the actions..........

Top Bottom