• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Have Given Up On Elio, Have You?

LGilbert

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I don't know what people are waiting for. Elio 'threw in the towel' three years ago, firing his whole staff and stiffing the salaries of his fabricators who had just, painfully, cobbled together his latest show car, which still had loaner interior parts and a non-functioning engine. Nothing has happened since. The blog ran out of re-blogs, the Website has had no updates (except to eliminate the reservation counter), and the FB page has not had an update for 22 months. Elio is DEAD. The $1000 that people bitterly complain about won't pay a single monthly mortgage/prop. tax on an average house, so money is not the reason for all this endless waiting for deliverance.

Elio elevated himself to guru through slick PR became a pied piper, creating a cult following of mostly ex-motorcyclist who bet their emotional and social life by elevating Elio to a tricycle club lifestyle before it even existed. Many people are still hanging onto this dream.

It will never be produced for a number of reasons, not the least of which are:

Elio's reputation in the automotive world is toast. He spent $190,000,000 and produced nothing. He is not investable.
Elio owes $50,000,000 to suppliers and a defaulted lease. He is not investable.
The design had major faults, not the least of which was tandem seating. There is no market for it other than motorcyclists.
The design was a death trap. It is a serious liability to any investor.
It is not an EV. A successful startup for the mass market today must be an EV or have an EV option.
It's design is antiquated, resembling a backyard kit car. Better kits are available with proven track records other than being a myth.

I bet $1000 on a reservation, too. Elio was a crap shoot. Being involved in high performance cars built to survive during accidents for over 50 years, I would have rejected the final purchase of an Elio because of its inability to protect passengers. The 40 mph crash test would have broken the car right behind the firewall and crushed its occupants.

Velhartice

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know what people are waiting for. Elio 'threw in the towel' three years ago, firing his whole staff and stiffing the salaries of his fabricators who had just, painfully, cobbled together his latest show car, which still had loaner interior parts and a non-functioning engine. Nothing has happened since. The blog ran out of re-blogs, the Website has had no updates (except to eliminate the reservation counter), and the FB page has not had an update for 22 months. Elio is DEAD. The $1000 that people bitterly complain about won't pay a single monthly mortgage/prop. tax on an average house, so money is not the reason for all this endless waiting for deliverance.

Elio elevated himself to guru through slick PR became a pied piper, creating a cult following of mostly ex-motorcyclist who bet their emotional and social life by elevating Elio to a tricycle club lifestyle before it even existed. Many people are still hanging onto this dream.

It will never be produced for a number of reasons, not the least of which are:

Elio's reputation in the automotive world is toast. He spent $190,000,000 and produced nothing. He is not investable.
Elio owes $50,000,000 to suppliers and a defaulted lease. He is not investable.

TRUTH.

The design had major faults, not the least of which was tandem seating. There is no market for it other than motorcyclists.

I like the tandem seating

The design was a death trap. It is a serious liability to any investor.

Safety when motor vehicles is involved is quite subjective. If you really want to be safe you would never ride in a car ever. Motorcycles are death traps that sell really well. It looks safer than a motorcycle to me. Competency is safer than perceived "safety" of anything.

It is not an EV. A successful startup for the mass market today must be an EV or have an EV option.

When an EV full size car can still charge to 400 mile range in less than 10 minutes after 15 years and 100k miles, last for at least another 10 years, while costing less than $6000 to buy, I'll think about it. Until EV's can be as cheap, convenient, easy to work on, and durable as ICE, EV's are not compatible with my transportation needs. An Elio is a perfect fit though.

I bet $1000 on a reservation, too. Elio was a crap shoot. Being involved in high performance cars built to survive during accidents for over 50 years, I would have rejected the final purchase of an Elio because of its inability to protect passengers. The 40 mph crash test would have broken the car right behind the firewall and crushed its occupants.

Good, then I'll gladly take your place in "line" so you don't have reject the purchase such a "dangerous" car.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To be honest, it's dead. But I will not complain that Paul TOOK me because it was always very risky and it just didn't pan out. I knew that going in.

Unfortunately, Paul just didn't kiss the right asses in Washington and he was passed over for the tremendous tax payer funded subsidies offered to he right Billionaires with the right friends. I think the divorce was the last straw.

Reaction score
I didn't realize Paul got divorced since he started Elio. That is so sad. I remember he talked about being a single dad and his 8 year old twins at the College in PA, MARCH 11, 2015. MARCH 11, 2015 OH MY! That WAS a long time ago.
But, since I jumped in on this I'll repeat; I still think Elio is going to be produced. It's name will not be Elio. It will be electric and it will be made in Ohio. That's my dream and I'm holding on to it.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
But, since I jumped in on this I'll repeat; I still think Elio is going to be produced. It's name will not be Elio. It will be electric and it will be made in Ohio. That's my dream and I'm holding on to it.

in a way, I'd like to see that dream come true .... the jobs would be great for folks in Ohio .... if it comes out as an electric vehicle, I would lose all interest in it .... if whoever tries manufacture it should go with an internal combustion engine, they will have make major design changes just to keep up with the BEX

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
in a way, I'd like to see that dream come true .... the jobs would be great for folks in Ohio .... if it comes out as an electric vehicle, I would lose all interest in it .... if whoever tries manufacture it should go with an internal combustion engine, they will have make major design changes just to keep up with the BEX
My Electric Elio would beat your ICE Elio off the line! :) Unless you hate EVs because they are EVs, I was skeptical of EV’s and had range anxiety, until I drove one for awhile. The “once you drive an EV you’ll never go back” statement was true for me.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Electric Elio would beat your ICE Elio off the line! :) Unless you hate EVs because they are EVs, I was skeptical of EV’s and had range anxiety, until I drove one for awhile. The “once you drive an EV you’ll never go back” statement was true for me.

to each his own .... I've owned and driven small, street legal, electric vehicles .... some advantages for sure but they were highly offset by the negatives .... "once I wasted money, bought and drove an EV, I'll never go back to one" statement is true for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom