• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Need A Computer Guru's Help!

LockMD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So, my wife's laptop was acting up (HP G62) running windows 7 ultimate. I installed a restore disk, wiped it clean and renamed previous install win.old.* that I have since deleted that folder. BUT the annoying problem is.......when you fire up the computer or re-boot instead of booting normally it goes to the HP screen and bottom left corner says ESC for Startup menu, press ESC, then says ESC...PAUSE startup.

I have to hit ESC and Pause buttons at exact timing and wait for 10+ minutes to see if it worked, after 15 minutes I try hitting the 2 buttons again with exact timing and wait.........

When it does come up, I get a screen that shows F9 for.....F10 for BIOS....Enter to continue booting

I've done a little research on-line, seems to be a problem with the registry? I've tried running tune-up utilities registry clean up but doesn't work?

Any help would be appreciated.....put it in idiot form if you can, I'm not as savvy as I think I am LOL

Injunjoe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Most Windows users keep their data files on the same hard drive as the operating system. If that is the case, I recommend using a live linux cd/usb (my choice is pclinuxos.com) to bypass windows and copy your data onto an external drive. If you burned recovery disks, what I would do is a fresh install of windows after moving the data. You could also just eliminate windows altogether and use linux exclusively, as I am doing right now.

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Simple things first- laptops are notorious for overheating. You need to blow the case out real good and then vacuum through the vent holes and try to get all of the collected dust and lint out. An overheating processor will do all sorts of weird things. It is a cheap fix if it works.
But- if you just did a new install, there are many possibilities.
What happens if you push nothing and leave it to boot up on it's own?

LockMD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Most Windows users keep their data files on the same hard drive as the operating system. If that is the case, I recommend using a live linux cd/usb (my choice is pclinuxos.com) to bypass windows and copy your data onto an external drive. If you burned recovery disks, what I would do is a fresh install of windows after moving the data. You could also just eliminate windows altogether and use linux exclusively, as I am doing right now.

Hmmmm that's a little over my head LOL

LockMD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Simple things first- laptops are notorious for overheating. You need to blow the case out real good and then vacuum through the vent holes and try to get all of the collected dust and lint out. An overheating processor will do all sorts of weird things. It is a cheap fix if it works.
But- if you just did a new install, there are many possibilities.
What happens if you push nothing and leave it to boot up on it's own?

It just goes to the HP screen and says ESC for start menu in bottom left corner.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
So, my wife's laptop was acting up (HP G62) running windows 7 ultimate. I installed a restore disk, wiped it clean and renamed previous install win.old.* that I have since deleted that folder. BUT the annoying problem is.......when you fire up the computer or re-boot instead of booting normally it goes to the HP screen and bottom left corner says ESC for Startup menu, press ESC, then says ESC...PAUSE startup.

I have to hit ESC and Pause buttons at exact timing and wait for 10+ minutes to see if it worked, after 15 minutes I try hitting the 2 buttons again with exact timing and wait.........

When it does come up, I get a screen that shows F9 for.....F10 for BIOS....Enter to continue booting

I've done a little research on-line, seems to be a problem with the registry? I've tried running tune-up utilities registry clean up but doesn't work?

Any help would be appreciated.....put it in idiot form if you can, I'm not as savvy as I think I am LOL

Hey Lock, I worked for a computer services shop for about 10 months, and although that job ended a year ago, I would be willing to see what I can remember and do to help!

How did you acquire the restore disk? Were you ever able to boot it up after installing the restore disk?

You mention "... when you fire up the computer or re-boot instead of booting normally it goes to the HP screen and bottom left corner says ESC for Startup menu, press ESC, then says ESC...PAUSE startup." Do you mean that this weirdness happens every time you start the computer, without fail?

As I continue through your description, what things did you search online, that led you to it possibly being a registry problem? It could be a registry problem, I'm curious what led you to that conclusion.

Are you able to ever get it to boot up completely?

LockMD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey Lock, I worked for a computer services shop for about 10 months, and although that job ended a year ago, I would be willing to see what I can remember and do to help! Thank you appreciate it. :)

How did you acquire the restore disk? Were you ever able to boot it up after installing the restore disk? My son got a bootleg copy off the net

You mention "... when you fire up the computer or re-boot instead of booting normally it goes to the HP screen and bottom left corner says ESC for Startup menu, press ESC, then says ESC...PAUSE startup." Do you mean that this weirdness happens every time you start the computer, without fail? Yes

As I continue through your description, what things did you search online, that led you to it possibly being a registry problem? It could be a registry problem, I'm curious what led you to that conclusion. I just typed HP G62 esc for start menu in the search bar

Are you able to ever get it to boot up completely?
Yes, I press esc then it changes to ESC...pause start then I hit esc and pause simultaneously and wait 10+ minutes and it goes to a menu of which ENTER to continue to windows (something like that) then it boots normally. Does that make sense, some of this is hard to explain especially now at work trying to remember what it said exactly. Maybe I'll take some pics and post them so you guys can see the actual display.

Top Bottom