• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Need A Computer Guru's Help!

LockMD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Boot up this is the screen......

20141119_145544.jpg

Here I press ESC and get this.......

20141119_150337.jpg

From here I press ESC and Pause at same time, wait for 10+ minutes and get this screen.....

20141119_165113.jpg

I hit ENTER and then it finally boots normal.......

20141119_170107.jpg

Any Ideas? If its a bad hard drive okay I can fix that easily now that I seen a video (thanks for telling me that) but if its a hard drive issue wouldn't I have way worse problems and not even be able to get to this last screen at all? Once its up and running it works fine, only have the problem if I have to restart or power up for first time.

Thanks in advance for any help.

LockMD

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver

View attachment 3524

View attachment 3525

From here I press ESC and Pause at same time, wait for 10+ minutes and get this screen.....

View attachment 3526

View attachment 3527

Any Ideas? If its a bad hard drive okay I can fix that easily now that I seen a video (thanks for telling me that) but if its a hard drive issue wouldn't I have way worse problems and not even be able to get to this last screen at all? Once its up and running it works fine, only have the problem if I have to restart or power up for first time.

Here's my thoughts: on your second screen, when it says "ESC .... Pause startup", I would take that to mean... it is doing its boot up thing currently and if you want to pause the startup, press ESC. So I would say, when you see this screen, don't press ESC or anything, just let it do its thing. Then when you see the Startup Menu screen, press Enter and hopefully it will boot in a normal amount of time.

So IF, and it's a big "if", this process allows you to boot it up normally, and it only takes a few minutes, I'd say you are good to go. Let us know how it goes. :-)

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score

View attachment 3524

View attachment 3525

View attachment 3526

View attachment 3527

My IT team suggested a BIOS reload/update, but myself I am still thinking bad HDD.

LockMD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's my thoughts: on your second screen, when it says "ESC .... Pause startup", I would take that to mean... it is doing its boot up thing currently and if you want to pause the startup, press ESC. So I would say, when you see this screen, don't press ESC or anything, just let it do its thing. Then when you see the Startup Menu screen, press Enter and hopefully it will boot in a normal amount of time.

So IF, and it's a big "if", this process allows you to boot it up normally, and it only takes a few minutes, I'd say you are good to go. Let us know how it goes. :)

Hmmmm that's logical :)

LockMD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My IT team suggested a BIOS reload/update, but myself I am still thinking bad HDD.

I tried hitting f10 the other day and it wouldn't accept the admin password we had set up :confused: The BIOS has its own separate password? if I do replace the HDD that wont effect the BIOS will it? argh! maybe I'll go gator's route and get a whole new laptop LOL

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I tried hitting f10 the other day and it wouldn't accept the admin password we had set up :confused: The BIOS has its own separate password? if I do replace the HDD that wont effect the BIOS will it? argh! maybe I'll go gator's route and get a whole new laptop LOL
That would be the easy route.

LockMD

Elio Addict
Reaction score

So IF, and it's a big "if", this process allows you to boot it up normally, and it only takes a few minutes, I'd say you are good to go. Let us know how it goes. :)

Sorry to take so long to get back......You were correct, no need to touch anything after the first ESC, just let it sit and the start menu did come up BUT....... not for 10+ minutes. So still a pain in the butt, maybe Santa will get her a new one for Christmas. :D

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Top Bottom