• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Improvements To The Steering Wheel?

nickskeys

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why do a lot of American cars, foreign cars have metal horn buttons and chrome and hard plastic parts right on the center hub of the steering wheel if this is where the airbag inflates- which would drive all of that hardware into the drivers face? I think those parts are designed to break right or left just before the airbag inflates, thus protecting the driver from flying debris from the steering wheel. That black rubber hub looks cheap. Why did they put nice looking steering wheels on the earlier prototypes then, if they were going to go with a cheap version for the final product? I know, I know. To save money. Geesh, that is getting old.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Why do a lot of American cars, foreign cars have metal horn buttons and chrome and hard plastic parts right on the center hub of the steering wheel if this is where the airbag inflates- which would drive all of that hardware into the drivers face? I think those parts are designed to break right or left just before the airbag inflates, thus protecting the driver from flying debris from the steering wheel. That black rubber hub looks cheap. Why did they put nice looking steering wheels on the earlier prototypes then, if they were going to go with a cheap version for the final product? I know, I know. To save money. Geesh, that is getting old.
What 2016 or 2017 vehicle has a metal horn facing the driver. Please show me the picture.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You might want to watch this.

(Fast forward to 1 minute unless you want to listen to those two guys)

Nice video, thanks. I was referring to steering wheels like these.
IMG_8046.JPG
IMG_8047.JPG

IMG_8048.JPG

IMG_8050.JPG

You can see the airbag in each of these either goes around the edge of the center hub or around the logo. Either way, they leave the center logo intact even when the airbag is deployed.

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Airbags deploy around the center logo itself or around the edge of the center hub on a steering wheel, not through the logo.

Nice video, thanks. I was referring to steering wheels like these.
View attachment 12090 View attachment 12091
View attachment 12092
View attachment 12093
You can see the airbag in each of these either goes around the edge of the center hub or around the logo. Either way, they leave the center logo intact even when the airbag is deployed.

That's not how I interpreted it. The way you worded it, made it sound like the logo stays in place and the airbag forms around that. In the second post with the pictures, it shows how the airbag rips through the steering wheel (through its seems) like the video in Coss's post.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
That's not how I interpreted it. The way you worded it, made it sound like the logo stays in place and the airbag forms around that. In the second post with the pictures, it shows how the airbag rips through the steering wheel (through its seems) like the video in Coss's post.
Plus lets remember, we're talking about a Viper steering wheel, not a Mustang, or a BMW.

nickskeys

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What 2016 or 2017 vehicle has a metal horn facing the driver. Please show me the picture.
Ok, here are some images to prove my point. ALL of these emblems are hard plastic/metal. Right on top of the air bag.

Attachments

• Cadillac steering wheel.png
    Cadillac steering wheel.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 190
  • Chevy Tahoe steering wheel.jpg
    Chevy Tahoe steering wheel.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 171
  • GMC steering wheel.jpg
    GMC steering wheel.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 182
  • GMC steering wheel.png
    GMC steering wheel.png