• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Interesting Comments From Patrick Byrne And Paul Elio...

Sega

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The main problem with Elio has always been is IF other people do something. IF the government gives them the loan. IF rich people decide to throw away their money. IF someone else does something. Elio has no control or plan.

And before some people get pissy towards me on here, what I have said is true. This site used to have a whole lot more people that were excited. EM has failed and missed deadlines over and over. I feel sorry for the people here that will lose money. No, it wasn't an "investment", it was an unnecessary gamble. It would have been like putting money on the Browns to win the Super Bowl last year.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wait a minute.....you guys are talking about rich folks jumping in NOW?! Why wouldn't they have done this 5 or 7 years ago? Just because they are selling some eliocoin doesn't mean a bunch of rich people are going to be like "I wasn't interested in that company that blew through $100M and have nothing to show for it, but now that that have the eliocoin, i'm interested."

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what it is.

Go read up on Dogecoin. And Bacoin.

post edited to remove inflammatory comments

Last edited by a moderator:

Sega

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

mkiker2089

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All the arguing isn't helping. I understand some people are frustrated but it doesn't help to keep saying the same things again and again.

I too am a little perplexed. I want to be optimistic but I don't understand the plan. Are the "auctions" going to be redeemed for a car? As in the max pledge is whatever the car price finally settles in at? If so then it's pretty much just an extension of the system we have now.

Also how are the coins going to be valued in real terms when you purchase and exchange them? USD? Inflation locked or demand driven?

Lastly I can't shake the nagging feeling that there is something shady about the system. Why use coins at all? The three wheel design is to get around safety laws. We know and accept that. What laws are the coins getting around? Why go through the effort to do all this?

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If letting the ElioCoin people just ahead of me means getting the Elio to production, I am all for it. I would rather wait just a little longer knowing I am getting my AutoCycle rather than complain and delay production once again because of funding. Ultimately, the first option still gets me my Elio faster.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If letting the ElioCoin people just ahead of me means getting the Elio to production, I am all for it. I would rather wait just a little longer knowing I am getting my AutoCycle rather than complain and delay production once again because of funding. Ultimately, the first option still gets me my Elio faster.

I think most of us Elio Loyal would be okay with the 1-out-of-8 being pulled from the line deal, but all it takes is one SIL holder to sue. If they win, and it does sound like Elio was actually selling spots in one line and not spots in one of two lines, then that one case could put the brakes on the ability for ElioCoin holders to get theirs early. Then that could cause lawsuits from the ElioCoin holders since the value they bought is no longer there...

I am sure they will have a team of lawyers work this out beforehand, but just because we are willing to take the delay for the greater good does not mean everyone would.

Well, I say "we" but that is the general "we". I am not a SIL holder since I am holding out for the turbo, or until they announce they will not be making one and DIY it... LOL.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. There's no way on GGE that 50,133 people are going to risk the full price of $7500 before production starts..
50,133 x $7500 = $376M. Especially considering the fact that it will HAVE to be considered non-refundable...
And EM will not be able to guarantee those people a vehicle any more than they did for us.

65,000 / 8 = 8,125. 8,125 x $7500 = $61M. And they'd STILL be a whopping $315M short of production.
50,133 auction winners / 8,125 (1 in 8 off the line per 65,000 units) = 6.17 years @ 65,000 units a year.

So through some miracle they raise $7,500,000 from 1000 leap-frogs...
And EM burns through that in a few months which they have a history of doing...
What then? That's why these things are going to be no more secure than our all-ins were.

Think about it.

Last edited:

Ray O

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I understand the math and how long its been but the fact that no one has given up is encouraging. I do agree that this country needs the Elio. I made my deposit not just for me but for how much it could help people who need transportation, and as an commuter car to help save fuel and the environment. Mr. Paul Elio please build this car.

Thomas Malkin

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
This is the Hail Mary pass. All or nothing.

Elio has been kept alive at the expense of its initial investors. They're committed to trying to get this done. They've been going from place to place for years, looking for investors. Overstock gave them a bit so they could pay some bills. I think Overstock is the only company to invest.

Elio was never intended to launch on investment money. ATVM or nothing. Ford is getting out of the car business because they can make more money doing trucks. Investors can make more money leaving their billions in derivative funds - as Elio explained years back, small car manufacturing has no payback for them that matches any other use of their capital. That's WHY the ATVM loan program exists. To fund what private money has no use for.

The ATVM operators haven't done a lick of work in eight years, and it has to be a political motivation at this point. They've two billion sitting in a cash-ish fund all this time, and access to billions more. They've watched all (since 2010) of their applicants die begging for the cash. Elio realized this years ago; that they keep going speaks to their committment. I imagine in most cases it is their life savings.

I think Paul and the others are throwing this ball because it is the last hope, and they are going for it.

I have taken them to task on their silence - but obvious it is that they've signed NDAs with many, and the ATVM people themselves asked them to shut up years ago about the deets of the application. They've been gagged. Not a good place to be.

They have fought a hell of a war, and we should support the troops who fought for us. They have taken it from all sides, when all they wanted was a bloody loan and a shot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom