• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Interesting Video About Tesla Motors

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Most people charging at their ho
Tractor/trailers top weight is 80,000 lbs, max. That includes the tractor and empty trailer, plus all the cargo. there are various schemes to get the weight a bit higher, such as extra axles. (You often see this on cement trucks and the like.) But you're talking a hell of a lot of extra axles to get to 80,000 lbs cargo. And then you end up with some weird arrangement that won't necessarily fit on all roads.

A 1MWh battery charging in an hour, using 480VAC, would pull just a hair over 2,000 amps. That assumes 100% efficient transfer/conversion/storage/etc. That is an insane amount of power. Enough to power almost 1,700 typical houses. (Average home power usage of 6kW, or about half of a typical 100 amp service.)

This is why I ignore nearly all of these "miracle battery" stories. I don't care how fast they can charge the batteries in some theoretical mega-charging facility. I don't have that much power available at my house, so those charge rates are unobtainable for me, and >99.99% of all home owners. You'd have to drive to a commercial facility to get them, paying exorbitant rates for the privilege of spending a not-insignificant amount of that charge just driving back and forth to the charging station. (The nearest DC Fast charger from my house is about 15 miles away.)
use don't need the fast charger. Those are for cross-country trips. Those Mega-chargers were for the Trucks.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How about a trucking company that doesn't use drivers between central hubs but rather has drivers waiting at the central hubs to complete the last 10 miles of the trip. This would be for areas where autopilot doesn't work. And while I'm thinking about it, I'm sure as things pick up, the roads will be made more autopilot friendly.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How about a trucking company that doesn't use drivers between central hubs but rather has drivers waiting at the central hubs to complete the last 10 miles of the trip. This would be for areas where autopilot doesn't work. And while I'm thinking about it, I'm sure as things pick up, the roads will be made more autopilot friendly.
This is how I envision the first driverless trucks will be put into service. Something like this arrangement already exists with triple-trailer semis. These can be driven on many turnpikes, but not standard highways. The trucking companies run the triple-trailer arrangements on the turnpikes, but pull them over as soon as they get off the turnpikes and unhitch the extra trailers before running on standard highways. This arrangement would be easy to adapt to long-haul driverless trucks. It keeps them segregated, and isolated to a more standard, predictable set of circumstances. the hubs would be easily controlled by the companies with regard to where the driverless trucks will drive, park, load, unload, etc. Location and lane markings could be strictly controlled and enforced, and assisted by the onboard GPS. then you let humans deal with the unpredictable arrangements, potential traffic concerns, and poor marking and identification of the actual endpoints.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score

In my area we are a big hub for distribution warehouses. It's because we have less taxes and cheaper real estate as opposed to NJ. So, building them on the border along with easy access to the NE corridor, they build them here. What i see are tons of trucks going back and forth to Newark, NJ to the ports. They pick up a container and make the 60-70 mile trip to the distribution center. Drop off and pick up an empty container and back to the port. A single tractor will make this round trip a few times per day. I could see them charging while loading/unloading or waiting for the next load. Then I could also see all of the garbage that PA takes from NYC and make that automated. All they do is drive in I-78 back and forth all day long. The cargo is garbage one way and nothing on the return trip.

Top Bottom