• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Interesting Video About Tesla Motors

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The truck looks great. What's the cost? That's the most important aspect for a trucker and the banker giving him the loan. And I really hope we don't see big rigs running on auto pilot! Sounds like a really bad idea. haha
Agreed. There are sometimes when an autopilot would work, other times not so much.
I always tell people the hardest part about a run, was the first 5 miles, and the last 10 miles, the 1,000 miles in between was the fun part.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agreed. There are sometimes when an autopilot would work, other times not so much.
I always tell people the hardest part about a run, was the first 5 miles, and the last 10 miles, the 1,000 miles in between was the fun part.
And if you're picking up or delivering in New Jersey, the hardest part is just about the entire time you're in the state. :D
It's going to take a lot for autopilot to be able to maneuver an 18-wheeler through some of the madness you encounter out there. I say that because the number one reason trucking companies like the idea of autopilot is to eliminate half their overhead in the form of drivers. The whole end game is not to give the drivers an easier job, but to get completely driver-less rigs out there. But with a big rig, there are a whole lot of variables that aren't there with a passenger car

Last edited:

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think you will ever see a driverless vehicle out there. No matter how good the auto pilot is.
NOTHING is error proof.

People aren't error proof, and they're allowed on the roads. The systems don't have to be perfect, according to the parameters set by the Govt., they just have to be better than a human driver. A low bar, IMHO.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tell that to the Tesla driver who turned on auto pilot and it didn't "see" the semi truck in front of him. Dead on impact.
I think the point may well be the dead on impact driver FORGOT to "turn on" his autopilot and his Tesla would have reacted along with auto braking assist to prevent the accident with a damage free Tesla and the driver shouting with glee, "damn, I'm glad I had auto pilot it may have saved my life!"

Auto pilot will or perhaps already is proven safer than a typical driver.

Top Bottom