• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Interior / Instrument Layout

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With all the talk about the ignition key failures in the past six months, does anyone know if the Elio will have the ignition switch integrated in the steering column (ugg) or perhaps a plain switch on the dashboard with a starter button?
As I've gotten older and developed Carpal Tunnel problems it's a real nuisance reaching around the steering wheel to find the ignition which I can't really feel. (Too much time using a mouse.)

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can't offer any particular insight, but if logic plays any part in this, here's some low-cost speculation:
In order to keep costs down, I would expect the steering column to be a straight buy-out from one of the suppliers to a number of other companies. That would include such niceties as stalks for turn signals and maybe lights and wipers. On the other side of the column, the ignition switch would provide not just an electrical switch, but a steering lock to minimize casual opportunities for theft. Steering wheel and its mounted airbag would probably be part of the package, and steering wheel switches for cruise control and even the radio might appear there with options. There will have to be a balance between part cost and savings in assembly - yet to be finalized, I'm sure.

You can bet the ignition switch issue has received a LOT of attention over the past few months, and the heavy scrutiny has probably produced a lot of improvements in the parts stream as well. There are a few components you don't necessarily want to be the cheapest available - especially those that relate to safety issues. A lot of these component designs will be vetted by the simple expedient of buying American. In a liability-driven manufacturing environment there's not a whole lot of wiggle room for underperforming components.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can't offer any particular insight, but if logic plays any part in this, here's some low-cost speculation:
In order to keep costs down, I would expect the steering column to be a straight buy-out from one of the suppliers to a number of other companies. That would include such niceties as stalks for turn signals and maybe lights and wipers. On the other side of the column, the ignition switch would provide not just an electrical switch, but a steering lock to minimize casual opportunities for theft. Steering wheel and its mounted airbag would probably be part of the package, and steering wheel switches for cruise control and even the radio might appear there with options. There will have to be a balance between part cost and savings in assembly - yet to be finalized, I'm sure.

You can bet the ignition switch issue has received a LOT of attention over the past few months, and the heavy scrutiny has probably produced a lot of improvements in the parts stream as well. There are a few components you don't necessarily want to be the cheapest available - especially those that relate to safety issues. A lot of these component designs will be vetted by the simple expedient of buying American. In a liability-driven manufacturing environment there's not a whole lot of wiggle room for underperforming components.
Before I did this post I was probing around on the net and came across something that said GM didn't do the light spring to be cheap, but rather to make it feel smooth, more like a Mercedes ignition.
On the various components that are available, there are those available with and those without the ignition on the column so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Keyless ignition could well be an option for those who are willing to spend $ for it. The Elio is going to be largely a blank canvas for options or particularly aftermarket vendors.

I've been spoiled by alarm/lock/window remotes, leather heated seats, and a few other touches that will eventually find their way on board my Elio.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I've planned on "personalizing" mine since day one that I went All-In
After building custom cars for 20+ years, it's only natural for me.
So getting a "Basic" Elio to start with works for me.

My key ring got up to 3 lbs. before, no more pocket bulge for me.

Top Bottom