• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Irony...i've Got An Example!

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, on more than one occasion, a proper guard has saved me some pain... Have you seen this? Amazing!

Yep. Saw that a few years back, and it's quite a concept, very cool! Here's my thing though. We use bandsaws, 12" disk sanders, shears, squeezes [those babies are DANGEROUS if you're not paying attention], and a hundred other air tools that 99% of the population had no idea existed. Sure, they say "accidents happen". I say BS! Inattention happens. When I click on a bandsaw, or any other tool, I'm focused like a Ninja on the task at hand and 'especially' where my fingers are [okay...I'm not so good with putting on safety glasses :rolleyes::cool:]. I did have an alligator squeeze jaw fail on me one time, and 'something' made me move my head right before it decided to let go like a shotgun [stationary jaw shattered :eek:, took a nice chuck out of my shoulder, careened off the platform above me, shot across the aisle, and ended up two departments over.]. Never saw one fail like that before or since, so I might have to back up on my "accidents happen" statement, but most of the time there's an injury, it's operator error.

As for the guards the clueless industrial safety clowns stuck on our sanders, saws and shear, they made it impossible to see what was going on at the "business end" of the machine you were using, and with the sanders in particular, would block the "off" button when the shield was raised enough to see what you were doing...words don't do the ridiculous safety hazard justice, but I really can't take pictures in the building [top secret stuff don't you know ;)].

for those that are bored, and/or curious what an alligator squeeze is:
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=alligator+squeeze+riveter&go=Search&qs=bs&form=QBVDMH

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yep. Saw that a few years back, and it's quite a concept, very cool! Here's my thing though. We use bandsaws, 12" disk sanders, shears, squeezes [those babies are DANGEROUS if you're not paying attention], and a hundred other air tools that 99% of the population had no idea existed. Sure, they say "accidents happen". I say BS! Inattention happens. When I click on a bandsaw, or any other tool, I'm focused like a Ninja on the task at hand and 'especially' where my fingers are [okay...I'm not so good with putting on safety glasses :rolleyes::cool:]. I did have an alligator squeeze jaw fail on me one time, and 'something' made me move my head right before it decided to let go like a shotgun [stationary jaw shattered :eek:, took a nice chuck out of my shoulder, careened off the platform above me, shot across the aisle, and ended up two departments over.]. Never saw one fail like that before or since, so I might have to back up on my "accidents happen" statement, but most of the time there's an injury, it's operator error.

As for the guards the clueless industrial safety clowns stuck on our sanders, saws and shear, they made it impossible to see what was going on at the "business end" of the machine you were using, and with the sanders in particular, would block the "off" button when the shield was raised enough to see what you were doing...words don't do the ridiculous safety hazard justice, but I really can't take pictures in the building [top secret stuff don't you know ;)].

for those that are bored, and/or curious what an alligator squeeze is:
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=alligator+squeeze+riveter&go=Search&qs=bs&form=QBVDMH
I hear you. Some of the safety stuff is absolutely ridiculous. I had to ship some distilled water to North Dakota for "something" but couldn't ship it fast because it was listed with FedEx as "Hazardous". Seriously. Hazardous. Well, I guess water can kill people...

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, on more than one occasion, a proper guard has saved me some pain... Have you seen this? Amazing!
Stop Saw came out in 1999 and it does work, sort of. It works if you're going normal speed cutting stuff; but if you hit the blade rapidly (like fall and whip your hand across the blade, you will get cut badly); or if you wear cloth gloves, it will pull your hand into the blade so fast if you catch the glove in the blade you will have a bad accident (again, moving hand rapidly into the blade.
And one key thing they avoid mentioning every time it engages:

"What do I do if I activate the safety system's brake cartridge? What will it cost to reset the safety system? Does activation damage the saw?

If you activate the safety system’s brake, you will need to replace the brake cartridge and evaluate the condition of the blade for future use. Replacing the brake cartridge is simple and can take as little as 90 seconds to complete. A standard brake cartridge costs $69 USD and a dado brake cartridge $89 USD. SawStop saws are designed to absorb the force of activation and are not damaged by it."

So $70.00 every time it kicks in; if you buy one, remember to show all your friends how it works. :p

Prices for the saw start around $1,400.00 and average around $2,200.00 to $2,600.00

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I hear you. Some of the safety stuff is absolutely ridiculous. I had to ship some distilled water to North Dakota for "something" but couldn't ship it fast because it was listed with FedEx as "Hazardous". Seriously. Hazardous. Well, I guess water can kill people...
How many gallons? Water weighs 8.34lbs per gallon; so if you had to ship 10 gallons you've got almost a 90lb piece of freight.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How many gallons? Water weighs 8.34lbs per gallon; so if you had to ship 10 gallons you've got almost a 90lb piece of freight.
It was 10 gallons but the time it was going to take for approval... It was faster and cheaper for my team to drive from Minot, ND into Wisconsin to get some than for me to ship it. It was dumb anyway. They needed to rinse something off and the manual called for that water specifically. Any probably would have been fine.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It was 10 gallons but the time it was going to take for approval... It was faster and cheaper for my team to drive from Minot, ND into Wisconsin to get some than for me to ship it. It was dumb anyway. They needed to rinse something off and the manual called for that water specifically. Any probably would have been fine.

My guess is de-ionized water.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True. And just another good example of the ridiculousness around us. ;)

Just received my copy of the accident report . There's 73 people on the CC list...five of which I know. It's my guess that somewhere in the 68 mystery names is the person, or group of people that will be pencil-whipping the next big safety mandate that everyone will have to follow. Safety glass ear piece shoe horns :crazy:! Or possibly requiring that you have them on "prior" to driving onto Boeing property :tsk: ? I'll keep you posted.

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They are going to send you for additional training in the proper use of safety equipment with emphases on eye safety. You should be back to work in about six weeks.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They are going to send you for additional training in the proper use of safety equipment with emphases on eye safety. You should be back to work in about six weeks.

Nah. Their "knee-jerk" reaction is to create another process to adhere to, and create a PowerPoint presentation. The entire building will have to attend a 2 hour "how to safely don your safety glasses" seminar and sign a pledge stating that you agree to abide by the new rule. :rolleyes:

[your sarcasm was noted ;)]

Last edited:
Top Bottom