• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Is 50% Of The Preorder Lost?

dkroy

Reaction score
For the pre-order 50% of the pre-order amount comes off of the price. Does that mean your pre-order goes towards the price plus an additional 50%, or does it mean that there just is a cost of pre-ordering, and they allow you to take 50% of your pre-order amount off of the sticker value?

Okuma

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
For the pre-order 50% of the pre-order amount comes off of the price. Does that mean your pre-order goes towards the price plus an additional 50%, or does it mean that there just is a cost of pre-ordering, and they allow you to take 50% of your pre-order amount off of the sticker value?

You get 150% of your preorder money off the price of the car

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey Okuma steve...might help if you stacked the figures like they would be on the purchase agreement.
Like this....$.xxxxxxx
$ xxxxxxx
$ xxxxxxxx
$ xxxxxxxx
$ xxxxxxx
$ xxxxxxxx
$ xxxxxxx
total due $ xxxxxxxx
It would help every body see how it looks in real life.
thanks man!

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey Jt, ah, I think you get $500 off the price of the elio...off the mrp..and the $1000 acts as a down payment. for example, the elio mrp says $8600, then you get $500 off that price..then you add the destination and dealer prep fees and that give you the total cost at the showroom. The finance guy will then take $1000 off the price..as a down payment. Then you add the state, county, city taxes and fees. The $500 would be a discount, not a bonus. Could be wrong, check a dealer contract on wiki..

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"This is the most popular choice for reservations. At this level you will:
- Be given as a bonus, 50% of your reservation amount off your final purchase, up to an additional $500."

Kinda vague, but sounds to me like the 50% bonus is deducted from the final invoice price; i.e. the bottom line.
At any rate it really doesn't make much difference. It would only amount to a few bucks in tax if the $500 maximum bonus were subtracted from the bottom line instead of the taxable sales value. If you're fretting over the tax on $500, maybe wait and buy a private sale used Elio a year or two old; report the sales price to the DMV at a more comfortable tax level.
My guess is it will be deducted pre-tax from the final invoice value, which simply makes a $1000 all-in reservation a $1500 down payment.

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey Jt, ah, I think you get $500 off the price of the elio...off the mrp..and the $1000 acts as a down payment. for example, the elio mrp says $8600, then you get $500 off that price..then you add the destination and dealer prep fees and that give you the total cost at the showroom. The finance guy will then take $1000 off the price..as a down payment. Then you add the state, county, city taxes and fees. The $500 would be a discount, not a bonus. Could be wrong, check a dealer contract on wiki..

So what you're saying is: MSRP -$500, then -$1000 down payment; pre-taxed. So ..... $1500 down payment. Unless dealer prep and destination are based on a percentage of vehicle cost you've outlined a simple $1500 down payment.

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Dealer prep and destination is already a fix amount we kinda know destination is $750..but dealer prep may be adjusted, but I think not. I"ve written about 1000+ of these, but something new always pops up.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So what you're saying is: MSRP -$500, then -$1000 down payment; pre-taxed. So ..... $1500 down payment. Unless dealer prep and destination are based on a percentage of vehicle cost you've outlined a simple $1500 down payment.
One major problem here. The definition MSRP does not meet Paul Elio's sales plan. Every Elio will cost the same to every buyer - at this point $6800. MSRP is a price that can be negotiated from. Elio price can not. You will pay the same price as everyone else plus what ever options you choose, destination, and if you live in a sales tax state, sales tax. Whether the credit is taken before or after tax, I'm not sure. It may have been mentioned in the contract but I live a no sales tax state so didn't worry about. It is all spelled out quite clearly when you make your reservation. The sales plan is all spelled out clearly in the Elio Store tab on the EM website. I found reading the EM website quite informative when I first got interested in the Elio. I highly recommend it if you are truly interested in the Elio. :-) Z

Top Bottom