• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Is Anyone Going Base Model?

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
First, I will be completely base, Don't want the auto. Only thing that would change that is if the pop out rear windows reduce the wind noise when driving with the windows down. If cruise is std. that would be nice but not planning to pay extra for it. Actually has more"stuff" on it than I want already. Stuff adds weight and complexity for no value to me, personal opinion only.
On the cruise with manual, my son's truck is a 5 spd 4 cyl, cruise worls fine, if there is more speed loss on a climp than I am willing to accept, just downshift and reset cruise when you top the hill. Really never an issue. Yes ,speed drops sometime, but I prefer that to the forced downshift created with an auto to stay at " set speed". That's just a gas waster.When driving my truck(auto) on cruise, if I feel a down shift is pending , I click off the cruise and matain the "gear" and reasonable speed old school style :)

james92se

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't recall ever using CC while in 4th gear. Works fine in 5th gear in my manual transmission Subaru. I don't believe you can go fast enough in 1st-3rd gears for the CC to engage.

I would assume you can't actually set cruise control in any gear but 5th. Maybe Subaru is wonky but I bet you couldn't set cruise in 3rd or 4th gear if you tried

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Manual transmission all the way for me. I loathe automatic transmissions - they're so boring and make you feel frustratingly disconnected from the car. I realize the modern ones are actually quicker than manuals but boy are they boring. It bugs me seeing people in their paddle shift automatics who think that's anything like the real thing. The death of the true manual transmission in modern cars is really distressing to me.

I loathe autos so much I actually converted my '93 Maxima from auto to manual.

In fact, I loathe autos so much that on my Elio I would actually gladly pay $800 to $1,000 MORE to get it in a manual over an automatic! Thankfully the situation is the other way around, though.

All I want is a manual transmission and cruise control.

Did I mention I loathe auto transmissions?

Both of my two 20+ year old Nissan Maximas (both manual tranmissions) have no problem automatically increasing the revs to account for inclines when in 5th gear and on cruise control. I would be shocked if any factory cruise control system on a manual transmission equipped car did not do the same.

Give me a clutch every time, it make driving sooo much more personal.

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Glad someone asked about this, I was thinking of asking. So how does it work? You are cruising along at 70 mph on a standard transmission with cruise control on, you go up a hill, RPMs go down and the speed can't be sustained. Does the cruise control just release automatically, and do you get an indicator light on the dash? does it become 2nd nature to notice the hill, and downshift when you hear/feel the RPMs going down?
JP - We have a Honda Fit which appears to have the same performance as our WONDER CAR. It takes a pretty good (bad?) Incline to force a downshift. We adapt with increased speed at the bottom. Cruise will cut off with brake or clutch, but usually I just click it off to shift and wait till back in top gear to resume.

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When on cruise control and slowing when going up a steep hill the accelerator will go to the floor. If the speed cannot be maintained the cruise will cut out.

My Sentra (automatic) will engage cruise at anything over 25 mph--speed determines when it engages.

nthawk68

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Glad someone asked about this, I was thinking of asking. So how does it work? You are cruising along at 70 mph on a standard transmission with cruise control on, you go up a hill, RPMs go down and the speed can't be sustained. Does the cruise control just release automatically, and do you get an indicator light on the dash? does it become 2nd nature to notice the hill, and downshift when you hear/feel the RPMs going down?
Jeff,
My standards (Subaru and Jeep Wrangler both have cruise and they work fine, they won't shift down, but I can feel/ hear the motor start to struggle going up the CO mountains and have to down shift, when you engage the clutch or brake the Cruise disengages, but hit resume when you get back to 5th or 6th, it is back at it. No problem.

Edward43

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's one thing to add an $800* automatic transmission to a $20,000 or a $15,000 vehicle (or even $12,000 to a Chevy "Speck"), but to add that amount (almost 1/8 or over 11.75%) to a $6,800 vehicle is another.

Right now, however, that is the ONLY option I MUST have...too much stop and go on my I-10 commute for a stick.

Anyone going to do me one better and go completely BASE model?

*per phone call to Elio, that's the maximum they hope to charge for the automatic transmission option
I am very likely going base model. Maybe they will offer a beta version for early testing? (Wrapped in plastic, and camouflage, etc). LOL

Top Bottom