• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Is Anyone Going Base Model?

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Other than the 1000 in I have no idea what We will add to the ELIO .
1. I need to see what it will come with no idea jet they have not built one
2. Need to see final price, that will determine if it worth adding more
3. Wish list, cruise, automatic other than that just give it to me as built.

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For me:
  • Cruise control is a must - I drive too much up and down a boring highway (>24k/yr) not to have the option
  • Automatic depends how refined their design ends up being, I do sit in traffic frequently.
  • A moonroof could be fun, I use mine all the time when the weather is nice - though I don't know if it'll be necessary with two windows next to you.
  • I'd really like bluetooth, my phone is a better radio/navigation unit than any they'd probably offer. If it's an expensive upgrade I'll build my own (hack the factory radio) or use a cheap aux adapter. I'm kinda bummed it's not standard, stereo bluetooth modules themselves are CHEAP (like... under 6 dollars cheap).

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I ordered for 2. Mine will be basic while my wife just wanted automatic. I'll upgrade the stereo myself...it's a DIY all the way including the wheel covers and all the safety gizmos they will offer. Come to think of it, what's the size limit on the tires can we safely install on the Elio? To me, wider and low profile tires up front will make this a sweet ride!;)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
It's one thing to add an $800* automatic transmission to a $20,000 or a $15,000 vehicle (or even $12,000 to a Chevy "Speck"), but to add that amount (almost 1/8 or over 11.75%) to a $6,800 vehicle is another.

Right now, however, that is the ONLY option I MUST have...too much stop and go on my I-10 commute for a stick.

Anyone going to do me one better and go completely BASE model?

*per phone call to Elio, that's the maximum they hope to charge for the automatic transmission option

The change you are observing is to the cost of the vehicle so proportionally the automatic transmission appears to be more expensive however the problem is that the cost to supply the transmission, or automatic add-on, does not really change whether they are being installed into another vehicle or the low cost Elio. Elio Motor's transmission suppliers could likely develop less expensive transmission options engineered specifically for an ultra lightweight and relatively low torque vehicle, such as the Elio, however I doubt this would net Elio Motors any cost savings as the transmission suppliers would have to pass on the cost of developing the new transmission systems.

The other issue is that Elio Motors is not actually searching for the lowest cost automatic transmission option. They are searching for the lowest cost option which will also not hurt the fuel economy rating which is a fairly tall order as there are likely less expensive automatic transmission options however the fuel economy hit would not fit EM's goals.

When looking at what EM is doing we must keep in mind that every decision EM makes is a balance of all their goals, low cost, high mpg, American made, and safe.

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Has the reverse effect in the Midwest. ;)

Too funny. Being from Wisconsin I totally get that. Out here in California is less commonplace to see deer hunting widows drinking canned Schlitz at 8 am while huffin' filtered minty Camels. My poor wife is a Texan and she was shocked at how redneck rural Wisconsin is.

Seriously. I'm a base model man, with manual tranny. About the only option I'd seriously consider would be a ski rack. That drive from San Diego to Mountain High or Big Bear would be cool in the Elio.

Richad

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
It's one thing to add an $800* automatic transmission to a $20,000 or a $15,000 vehicle (or even $12,000 to a Chevy "Speck"), but to add that amount (almost 1/8 or over 11.75%) to a $6,800 vehicle is another.

Right now, however, that is the ONLY option I MUST have...too much stop and go on my I-10 commute for a stick.

Anyone going to do me one better and go completely BASE model?

*per phone call to Elio, that's the maximum they hope to charge for the automatic transmission option

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On this note, I wonder if they will have the extra items as separate items or try to package everything. I hate when I configure a car online and want to add one little thing and end up having to add an entire package costing 1000's. I hope to update to an auto, don't force 15 other items I don't care about, and certainly don't want to pay for.

Top Bottom