• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Is Anyone Going Base Model?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like the whole idea of paddle shifters but will settle for whatever the Elio engineers mandate.
image.jpg

Last edited:

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, when I say paddle shifters, I just mean the ability to change the gear in addition to the normal "D", "2", "1" type deal. I hope they do give us this ability since its going to be a MT with gizmo's to do the shifting for us. I'd probably just let it shift when it wants too, but would be fun to be able to play with the shift buttons/paddles at times.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, when I say paddle shifters, I just mean the ability to change the gear in addition to the normal "D", "2", "1" type deal. I hope they do give us this ability since its going to be a MT with gizmo's to do the shifting for us. I'd probably just let it shift when it wants too, but would be fun to be able to play with the shift buttons/paddles at times.

I would be surprised if there were not some way to manually tell the transmission when to shift. The easiest way to handle this would simply be by moving the shift lever to a position which allows it to be moved up/down or left/right to shift the gears. Elio Motors has discussed the possibility of using the same AMT bolt on system which the Suzuki Celario uses and this is how they handle it which would also likely work in the Elio.

[Broken External Image]

Steering wheel mounted buttons or paddle shifters could also be offered to make the vehicle feel more sporty and allow shifting without taking your hands off the wheel.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Are you saying it's less expensive for the consumer to purchase option packages rather than purchasing them individually because it's cheaper for auto makers to produce this way?

It is really "the other way around." When accessories are "packaged" it is more difficult for the consumer to figure out the actual / reasonable "cost" of each item. This allows the dealer to push the asking price higher...much higher!
So glad EM will do this differently. :)

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is really "the other way around." When accessories are "packaged" it is more difficult for the consumer to figure out the actual / reasonable "cost" of each item. This allows the dealer to push the asking price higher...much higher!
So glad EM will do this differently. :)
Exactly. IMHO, the option game is NOT to help the customer, but an attempt to force us into upgrading a ton of items just to get one popular item they know most will want. Configure a F series truck on Ford's website, by using there build your own truck option. Add one innocent thing (cruise control), and it will say "since you choose this option, you now get bla bla bla at the cost of 3K, do you still want this option". Its a rip off, plain and simple. Lets hope all options can be added at the dealer except transmission type and color. (if even them 2 things could be done at dealer, would make work at factory simpler yet. But not sure I would trust the dealer painting it.)

I remember with the smart car, the color of the car could actually be changed, just by swapping the panels out. It would be interesting if they could do something like with the elio. Imagine having a friend with an Elio and after a year or so, you decided to swap panels. :)

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember with the smart car, the color of the car could actually be changed, just by swapping the panels out. It would be interesting if they could do something like with the elio. Imagine having a friend with an Elio and after a year or so, you decided to swap panels. :)

Or half the panels. A black and orange arrangement for Halloween!

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Top Bottom