• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Is Elio Being Ignored By Mainstream Auto Industry Press?

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think a big Elio market demographic will be old boomer bikers because they recognize it as an enclosed trike. Tough question of the day: When people see the Elio in person do they say nice car, nice cycle, or what the hell is that an autocycle?

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score

upload_2014-12-22_12-39-50.jpeg

JDub

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I don't see the big 3 going after this market. They'll let Elio have the small market share that will be. With a small price comes a small profit margin which is of little interest to them. I see very little margin in this vehicle at this price once established I would expect a price increase.

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't see the big 3 going after this market. They'll let Elio have the small market share that will be. With a small price comes a small profit margin which is of little interest to them. I see very little margin in this vehicle at this price once established I would expect a price increase.

It is great we seem to have gotten a whole new crop of negative thinkers. All these deep questions are from people who joined the site months ago, and have 10-50 posts.

What have they been waiting for weren't these heavy question just as valid 5 or 6 months ago.

They just love to stir the pot, one ask won't the big three run you over, and the next says the big three can't be bothered with this small low margin segment of the market.

Merry Christmas to the trolls!

Kronos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

Small margin? I don't think a 15-20% margin is too bad, actually. In fact, compared to most cars it's very good from what I've read. Now, maybe with the traditional "dealership" model that other manufacturers use, that margin is cut into. But for Elio, that would be a comfortable margin I believe as they do not have such expenses.

That said, this assumes they are able to cut their costs a bit more and achieve that $1,000 profit per vehicle that they have planned. I do suspect the price will rise after a year or two, if for no other reason than inflation and demand and other costs.

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As far as the big3 being interested, they have no chance to compete in his market. their overhead costs are so high that the "cost" would make them uncompetitive. Too many 200,000$ VPs and directors to pay. Too much of , well, just everything. they have no idea how to operate on a tight budget to provide the kind of value Elio (and other smart and small companies) can provide.
Road and Track and other glossy publications will have their chance with a production Elio. Without the production car there is no real world testing for them to do. All in good time :)

JDub

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I think my post was misunderstood. The big 3 have not invested a great deal of resources in the small car market they spend their money on luxury and truck models that return high profits. I look at this as a good thing for Elio as we don't need them screwing up a good thing. While I don't post often I read daily and some days I just shake my head. I'll be picking my black manual up at the factory. When I get home I'll swap out that dash but leave the fuel filler on the WRONG side. Haha

Top Bottom