• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Is The Cam Drive Belt Or Chain?

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is something I look at when purchasing a new vehicle. VW TDIs used to have 40k mile timing belts... and they charged $2,000 for a TB job, which often wouldn't even include all the parts that should have been changed. Over the years, they have bumped the interval up to 105,000 miles. Just helped my father do the TB on his 2006 Jetta TDI. Even doing it yourself, it takes about $300 in party's and a good 5-6 hours in his climate controlled garage with a lift and all of the proper tools.

Our new Kia Sedona has a chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fredio

Elio Fan
Reaction score
This is something I look at when purchasing a new vehicle. VW TDIs used to have 40k mile timing belts... and they charged $2,000 for a TB job, which often wouldn't even include all the parts that should have been changed. Over the years, they have bumped the interval up to 105,000 miles. Just helped my father do the TB on his 2006 Jetta TDI. Even doing it yourself, it takes about $300 in party's and a good 5-6 hours in his climate controlled garage with a lift and all of the proper tools.

Our new Kia Sedona has a chain.

I too have a NO TIMING BELT policy, especially on an interference engine! I would have bailed on Elio Motors had this not been a mistake, as I did on a Subaru STI recently. Thankfully Paul Elio is a much better engineer than judge of marketing types. But why hasn't this recent thread been merged into the existing one on the subject?

Last edited:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mark my words, you read it here: Elio 2.0 will be electric. The relatively low weight and wonderful aerodynamics greatly extend range. Battery costs will plummet as Elon Musk's megafactory comes online. Watch this space!

Sailor Dog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mark my words, you read it here: Elio 2.0 will be electric. The relatively low weight and wonderful aerodynamics greatly extend range. Battery costs will plummet as Elon Musk's megafactory comes online. Watch this space!
Plummeting battery costs will allow for an EV Elio while still meeting the 1st of Elio's 4 tenets... affordability! An EV for less than $10,000? Just my speculation.

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was a little disappointed that my Fiat 500 Abarth has a belt, but the change interval is 152,000 miles (or 9.5 years), so I won't have to deal with it for a long time (if ever).

Right now, I drive it less than 10,000 miles a year. I will have a bit longer of a commute next year, so hopefully the Elio won't be too far away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I'm sure you're right.
But.... um... let's get the ICE model out first?
please?!

Top Bottom