• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Is The Elio Viable When Gas Is $2.00 A Gallon As An" And "vehicle

Graemexx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
The cost of running an Elio is about $2000 a year (depreciation, insurance, plates, and repairs) to break even when your car gets 42 on the hi-way you would have to drive 42,000 miles. If you only get 28 hi-way you would still have to drive 28,000 miles. There are not enough commuters driving that distance, to give a 250,000 annual sales any reasonable prospect for success.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The cost of running an Elio is about $2000 a year (depreciation, insurance, plates, and repairs) to break even when your car gets 42 on the hi-way you would have to drive 42,000 miles. If you only get 28 hi-way you would still have to drive 28,000 miles. There is not enough commuters driving that distance, to give a 250,000 annual sales any reasonable prospect for success.
If you're broke, it doesn't matter if gas is $.50 a gallon, that being said, 3 or 4 years from now who knows what oil will be.. right now it's heading up

oil.png

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thinking a couple of things, one is that there is a concern that $2/gallon is a permanent state of affairs. It probably isn't. Right now there is a glut world wide driving the prices down, I'm convinced it's only temporary for several reasons. Second, one of the purposes of the Elio is to cut down on the consumption of gas regardless of the price of gas. Someone who generally drives a larger vehicle and doesn't give a rip about the price of gas wouldn't buy an Elilo anyway, for others seeing a car that get's crazy mpg will be attracted regardless of price. With that being said, yes, the price of gas at present does make one of the selling points less potent. Don't forget the selling price and safety though. Still a very viable "and" car. The gas prices will go back up, no one causes the price of their product to plummet without either being stupid or having a long term plan. I don't think that some of the world's major oil producers are stupid.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's not clear to me why anyone is listening to this clown.
He started with a negative attitude toward Elio back in April ----------

I will not be buying an Elio and do not wish any reservation holders to lose their deposit. So you can dismiss me as a hater if you want. I feel that Paul Elio has no desire to start production of the Elio. The reasons are that of the thirty million he has raised he has spent about $250.000 on mock ups and about $500,000 on an engine. If he used the money towards the car he could have built thousands by now. He wants to raise $30,000,000 and out of it, the directors would keep four million. This is a cash grab that would scare away any potential investors. Some posted that the 4 million would be used for other purposes. If this was true they would not have put this in the prospectus. I think that Comtrex is coming to this realization and I think that John Painter will realize it soon. I hope that I am wrong.

And if you look at his other posts, his attitude hasn't changed -----------

The cost of running an Elio is about $2000 a year (depreciation, insurance, plates, and repairs) to break even when your car gets 42 on the hi-way you would have to drive 42,000 miles. If you only get 28 hi-way you would still have to drive 28,000 miles. There are not enough commuters driving that distance, to give a 250,000 annual sales any reasonable prospect for success.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's not clear to me why anyone is listening to this clown.
He started with a negative attitude toward Elio back in April ----------

And if you look at his other posts, his attitude hasn't changed -----------
"I feel that Paul Elio has no desire to start production of the Elio."

If so, then he is really working hard against himself here.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The original premise of this thread -----------
Is The Elio Viable When Gas Is $2.00 A Gallon As An" And "vehicle?
The question makes no sense.
I'll rephrase it.
Should I run the wheels off of my $45,000 pickup truck at 15 MPG combined?
or
Should I run the wheels off of my $7,000 Elio at about 60 MPG combined?
If you have to think twice to answer that question, maybe you should live in Toronto where gas costs a lot more.

Edit 9:41AM
Note: Toronto gas is about $3.07 US equivalent

Last edited:

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The original premise of this thread -----------
Is The Elio Viable When Gas Is $2.00 A Gallon As An" And "vehicle?
The question makes no sense.
I'll rephrase it.
Should I run the wheels off of my $45,000 pickup truck at 15 MPG combined?
or
Should I run the wheels off of my $7,000 Elio at about 60 MPG combined?
If you have to think twice to answer that question, maybe you should live in Toronto where gas costs a lot more.
That's a
nob.png

Graemexx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

You are right I do have a bad attitude. While I like the car, I feel that the company is run by con men. Some people think he is God like, the truth is he is somewhere in between. While I consider myself right wing I also read leftist news. People should get information on the Elio good and bad, so they can make an informed decision not just reading good news only.

Top Bottom