• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

It's A Car In Ohio

Reaction score
I hope this opening post is correct and they classify this vehicle as a car. This will remove a substantial burden for most drivers(buyers) and probably have a major boost to sales. I started looking into the motorcycle endorsement on my license and the hand book for the test. Most everything in that book about motorcycles does not apply to this vehicle(leaning into turns, handlebars, wind in the eyes(lack of cabin), etc...) It doesn't make sense to call this vehicle a motorcycle if you ask me. If they do classify it as a car though I'd like to know how to attach the front plate...
No, it's not. The feds are in charge on assigning VIN numbers to vehicles. The federal gubbertment says it's a motorcycle. Some states call it a autocycle. But, Ohio is still stuck. Think we got it bad, check out WV, lol. I hope it straightens out by the time we get our elios.

Matthew Wagner

Reaction score
Considering Ohio makes distinctions with Mopeds, Scooters, and Motorcycles... I imagine this might get it's own category given time to write new laws about it. I wonder what it would be like to wear a bulky helmet with a head rest right behind it. I'd have to go through the training period where you're required to wear a helmet... in my car with a seat belt and three air bags... it makes little sense.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Considering Ohio makes distinctions with Mopeds, Scooters, and Motorcycles... I imagine this might get it's own category given time to write new laws about it. I wonder what it would be like to wear a bulky helmet with a head rest right behind it. I'd have to go through the training period where you're required to wear a helmet... in my car with a seat belt and three air bags... it makes little sense.

OHIO

(1) Until January 1, 2017, " motorcycle" means every motor vehicle, other than a tractor, having a seat or saddle for the use of the operator and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, including, but not limited to, motor vehicles known as "motor-driven cycle," "motor scooter," or "motorcycle" without regard to weight or brake horsepower.

(2) Effective January 1, 2017, "motorcycle" means every motor vehicle, other than a tractor, having a seat or saddle for the use of the operator and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, including, but not limited to, motor vehicles known as "motor-driven cycle," "motor scooter," "cab-enclosed motorcycle:)," or "motorcycle" without regard to weight or brake horsepower.

Cab-enclosed motorcycle

Not more than 3 wheels

Seat or saddle for the operator Occupant compartment top (may be removable)

$14

Displays a single, rear license plate

Except in regard to operation with a temporary instruction permit, not subject
to otherwise applicable requirements related to wearing a helmet and safety
glasses or other eye protection.

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OHIO

(1) Until January 1, 2017, " motorcycle" means every motor vehicle, other than a tractor, having a seat or saddle for the use of the operator and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, including, but not limited to, motor vehicles known as "motor-driven cycle," "motor scooter," or "motorcycle" without regard to weight or brake horsepower.

(2) Effective January 1, 2017, "motorcycle" means every motor vehicle, other than a tractor, having a seat or saddle for the use of the operator and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, including, but not limited to, motor vehicles known as "motor-driven cycle," "motor scooter," "cab-enclosed motorcycle:)," or "motorcycle" without regard to weight or brake horsepower.

Cab-enclosed motorcycle

Not more than 3 wheels

Seat or saddle for the operator Occupant compartment top (may be removable)

$14

Displays a single, rear license plate

Except in regard to operation with a temporary instruction permit, not subject
to otherwise applicable requirements related to wearing a helmet and safety
glasses or other eye protection.
Why on earth is this not taking effect until 2017. This is 2014! What is wrong with this picture? :-) Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is OK, Really. I raised a bit of hell on this and it is going to be corrected. Also if you keep reading the new 'law' it only covers the driver or 'operator' of the vehicle. Not the passenger. They are now award of that too. THEY DIDN'T KNOW THE ELIO HAD A BACK SEAT !!!!
Uh. Did they bother to read any information? Or even look at a video. Cheesh! :-) Z

Reaction score
Well, I was smitten with the young man I spoke with. He is the main fellow who writes all the senator's bills and such. He just took the information given to him by um ... not to name names ... um, some VP at Elio. Who also was the same fellow who told me that it was fine as written, lol. Well, I can't be mad he really does have a lot on his plate too and just might of over looked a few things. Besides who in their left mind wants to be corrected by a silly old farm wife, who parties a lot,.... with the TEA PARTY. lololololol

Top Bottom