• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I've Actually Sat In The Elio And Here Is One Thing I Would Change!

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
understood on the difference .... the reason given for moving it to be anchored on the right is to keep the belt out of the way of a person getting into or out of the back seat
I think it'll be strange and different, but I like that it will be this way for just the reason you mentioned.
My use of the vehicle will involve me picking up my son from school every day. It's bad enough that I'm going to have to get out to let him in. I'd hate to be fumbling with the seat belt all the time. Maybe with the seat belt on the opposite side of the door, I may not need to get out; just skootch up.
Skootch...it's a word.:D

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think it'll be strange and different, but I like that it will be this way for just the reason you mentioned.
My use of the vehicle will involve me picking up my son from school every day. It's bad enough that I'm going to have to get out to let him in. I'd hate to be fumbling with the seat belt all the time. Maybe with the seat belt on the opposite side of the door, I may not need to get out; just skootch up.
Don't mind scootch, or scooch, but good luck moving far enough forward so your son can slither into the back without your having to clamber out. See the suggestion for a grab handle ... another good reason to have one. Also might help rear seat passengers to extract themselves from the back seat.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The second armrest will be in the production vehicle, I've checked on this before and had it confirmed. So you will get your wish :becky:
The Elio will also give you the option to roll down both side windows and but BOTH elbows on the windowsills. That ought to get points for originality. :cool-new:

and, most important YELLOW!!
Amen, brother! Based on the colors seen in pictures on the Elio site, I'd think twice about that lime green. I rented a God-awful pea-soup green Pinto for a couple of weeks back in the day, then inherited one from my office motor pool for a few more weeks. At first unique, I got sick of it in a few days. It attracted a lot of stares . . . and not the good kind. Fortunately it had the presence of mind to wrap itself around a telephone pole. Shame, I figured. :dispirited:

understood on the difference .... the reason given for moving it to be anchored on the right is to keep the belt out of the way of a person getting into or out of the back seat
In the past few months it looks like more concessions are being made to the backseater. If posts here are any indication, there are quite a few people interested in hauling a passenger than might have first been imagined. Whether for taking a kid to school, doing light shopping, or even road-tripping with your S/O, the Elio is proving to have more market acceptance as a family vehicle than just a single-purpose commuter. :thumb:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
In the past few months it looks like more concessions are being made to the backseater. If posts here are any indication, there are quite a few people interested in hauling a passenger than might have first been imagined. Whether for taking a kid to school, doing light shopping, or even road-tripping with your S/O, the Elio is proving to have more market acceptance as a family vehicle than just a single-purpose commuter. :thumb:

agree .... I do have a nagging concern .... in an emergency where the driver may be incapacitated, I'm concerned about the ability of the person in the rear seat to exit the vehicle ....

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I should have been more clear. Your post implied the shift should be shorter for easy access to your coffee on the way to work. My thought was that might not work for a manual shift depending the height of the seat. Just a thought.
Oh. I gotcha. The Miata, when I test drove it (never did get one) only required a slight flick of the wrist to change gears but I can see how that might be a little different based on seat height. For what it's worth, it looks like the gear shift is in about the same relative position as it was in that 1992 Miata I drove.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The seat belt over the right shoulder latching by your left hip would be horrible, I hope to god they don't do that. You get in a car now, the belt goes over the left shoulder latches by the right hip because it's the driver's side. Same should be with the Elio, would feel so wrong other wise.
I can understand that, for sure. I was based in Okinawa Japan for 3 years and drove a little red Honda Civic. It was the one with the hatch and you drove on the right side. It took almost no time to get used to shifting with the left hand and the seatbelt always felt right. So, hopefully, the Elio will be the same with the seatbelt. I'd rather it be out of the way when getting gear out of the backseat area. But, opinions are like butts... everyone has one.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"scooch", or the longer "scoociatore" Italian it translates to- pain-in-the-neck (on this forum anyway)

AJ Maxey

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Amen, brother! Based on the colors seen in pictures on the Elio site, I'd think twice about that lime green. I rented a God-awful pea-soup green Pinto for a couple of weeks back in the day, then inherited one from my office motor pool for a few more weeks. At first unique, I got sick of it in a few days. It attracted a lot of stares . . . and not the good kind. Fortunately it had the presence of mind to wrap itself around a telephone pole. Shame, I figured. :dispirited:

That green is the last color I would choose. It's too metaphorical. Like "Look at me, I'm a hippie green person driving my 84mpg autocycle!". I always love blue though. I just hope the true blue is a bit darker than what it appears to be in the CAD pictures.

Reactions: Ekh

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
agree .... I do have a nagging concern .... in an emergency where the driver may be incapacitated, I'm concerned about the ability of the person in the rear seat to exit the vehicle ....

Good concern. I have been thinking about it....If the driver was incapacitated (but not dead), You would need to wait for help to carefully remove the driver. So, the passenger would use the cell phone and call 911.
But, (I am pretty sure) there will be situations that do result in death. :violin:

Top Bottom