• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Jalopnik Claims Elio Has Only $100k In Bank, $123 Million In Debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Congress funded the program in 2009, when it appropriated
$7.5 billion to cover the subsidy cost for the $25 billion in loans, as well as $10 million for
program implementation. Since the start of the program, DOE has awarded $8.4 billion in loans
to five companies (Fisker, Ford, Nissan, Tesla, and the Vehicle Production Group). As of January
2015, ATVM has $16.6 billion in remaining loan authority. No new loans have been made since
2011. Two companies—Fisker and the Vehicle Production Group—were unable to make
payments on their loans, and DOE auctioned the loans off in the fall of 2013. Tesla paid off all of
its loan in 2013, nine years ahead of schedule."

"In April 2014, DOE announced a number of changes that appear designed to refocus the program
to assist vehicle component manufacturers, rather than the vehicle assemblers that have received
prior ATVM loans. As of January 8, 2015, however, no new loans have been made.
Appropriations for the program do not cover the entire value of the loans but instead cover the
“subsidy cost” (i.e., the risk of default). For the original appropriation, Congress assumed a
subsidy rate of 30%, meaning that $7.5 billion would be sufficient to fund $25 billion in total loan
value. A report by the Government Accountability Office (GAO) estimates that a total of $3.3
billion in subsidy costs has been paid to date, with approximately $4.2 billion unobligated."

"The ATVM program was established in 2007 and funded in 2009. In the fall of 2011, it was
discussed in Congress in the context of using a reduction in the program as an offset to proposed
increased funding for disaster relief in the FY2012 Continuing Resolution. Ultimately, Congress
did not reduce ATVM funding and the program remains as originally authorized and funded,
although two recent reports have called for the unused funds to be rescinded."

The full Congressional Research Service Document is at... https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42064.pdf

It contains some of those pesky irrelevant details...

Last edited:

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Travelbuzz, what do you mean by "halted"? The ATVM program still has authorization for several billion in loans as far as I'm aware.
Look at post #191, there are no car companies with a start up like EM that have any loans. I do not remember where I came across the information last week on halting the loans. I will try and come across it, there is a women with the last administration that was very helpful in trying assist those applying for the loan.

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Fisker and Tesla both received loans and while not identical to EM's situation, they are fairly similar.

And reading through EA's post, there are some relevant details in there. The two which stand out to me are there being no loans at all since 2011 and that they are still authorized to grant them.

Where that puts EM in terms of moving forward, it's difficult to tell. Although, if we can help a political climate that seems to be shifting towards better alignment with EM's goals put some momentum behind the Elio, then I think the chances are much better.

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
News to me. Link please. ;)
...John Giberson (Future Elio Qwners of America ) This came directly from a conversation I had with Joel Sheltrown (Elio Motors). I asked for permission to share it with the group and was given such. This is another piece of information that was shared with me. "Cantwell is the lead Dem on the Committee.. Her office has been very helpful. We have been working numerous Congressional to ask questions via phone or email as to what is the issue with DOE ATVM not approving, not only Eliop, but any loans since 2014. Considerable pressure was applied by certain Congressional members. That being the case, I am for certain that DOE will know exactly why this question was asked. The question and response will be important going forward with the ATVM loan."

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...John Giberson (Future Elio Qwners of America ) This came directly from a conversation I had with Joel Sheltrown (Elio Motors). I asked for permission to share it with the group and was given such. This is another piece of information that was shared with me. "Cantwell is the lead Dem on the Committee.. Her office has been very helpful. We have been working numerous Congressional to ask questions via phone or email as to what is the issue with DOE ATVM not approving, not only Eliop, but any loans since 2014. Considerable pressure was applied by certain Congressional members. That being the case, I am for certain that DOE will know exactly why this question was asked. The question and response will be important going forward with the ATVM loan."
Travelbuzz1, nowhere in your quote does it say, "A group of congressmen halted the loans since 2014..."
Or anything remotely similar to that. Understandable with all the typos in Giberson's statement. :confused:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I DID. IT DOESN'T SAY "A GROUP OF CONGRESSIONAL MEMBERS HALTED THE LOANS SINCE 2014..." EITHER.
I believe you may have misinterpreted J.G.'s statement.

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No sir, it's not nitpicking. You said, "A group of congressmen halted the loans since 2014..."
It's keeping things on the plain of reality, making sure of the facts and preventing false rumors from being started.

Elio Motors has nothing to do with it.
Neither they, nor Giberson, said anything like...
"A group of congressmen halted the loans since 2014..."

At least not in the statement that you copied verbatim.
And yes, I was pretty certain that the typos were Giberson's when I read it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom