• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Jalopnik Claims Elio Has Only $100k In Bank, $123 Million In Debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
It has been often stated here that the ball is in Elio's court, not DOE's. Until EM proves, at the very least, their mileage claim, they are not eligible for the loan. The entire loan process revolves around EM's claim that they can beat the required 75 mpg target. Has EM produced those results, and informed the DOE, and we just don't know it? Someone else said that EM can't do that right now, because EM needs to certify a production (or production-equivalent) vehicle, and EM can't do that, because they don't have a production-equivalent vehicle. They will need to finish more of the E-series tuning before that can happen.

So I'm curious as to why you have now switched sides, and are claiming that the DoE is now stonewalling EM on the loan process?

And again here, you have flipped your stance on grass-roots movements and letter-writing campaigns. You used to claim that EM had asked people to NOT conduct letter-writing campaigns. That it was counter-productive, and could hurt EM's position. Why have you suddenly flipped your position on this?
He hasn't switched sides, EM did in their stance. It was EM that said to do this, not EKH. And as EKH stated, don't write the DOE (which is what EM told us not to do) but contact their "bosses" to put pressure on the DOE

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd like to add.. Trump has had a few rankles with the auto industry(as well as the green party). He might be inclined to enable EM just to show up the big three, that "Yes Dorothy it CAN be done." Well mostly he needs to show the autoworkers some table scraps, and Elio has all the right attributes for Republican compatibility, except for the actual gov loaning part. Sooo, we'll see.
The problem is getting through to him. I understand he tweets at about 6:30 to 6:45 or so in the mornings (eastern time). But he's not exactly a great listener, and follows very few people, so you'll really need to use hash tags and @RealDonaldTrump to have a prayer of reaching him.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As to your point 1, DOE has admitted that Elio meets the technical requirements for the loan. While formal mpg testing cannot take place until a production-ready, fully loaded car is available, the simulations and anecdotal evidence appear to have been sufficient.
That's great. I hadn't known that bit. I was under the impression that everyone was waiting on release of formal testing results.

As to Point 2, Elio does not want us going after DOE directly. However, they have said they do not discourage writing to the Trump Transition Team, Mr. Trump, or Rick Perry, about-to-be Secretary of Energy.
OK, fair enough. I see your point.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Technically, mpg testing on a fully-equipped, production-ready vehicle is not even required to qualify for the ATVM loan. Under its ATVM guidance, DOE says,

"Qualification [10 CFR 611.101(c)]: A detailed explanation of how the proposed project qualifies under applicable law to receive a loan under 10 CFR 611, including vehicle simulations using industry standard software such as DOE’s Autonomie (previously PSAT) or similar model to show projected fuel economy." (Emphasis added.)

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for doing the homework floydv. I think that serves as a pretty definitive answer to the mpg requirement question.

That's all I wanted to know. :D

It's just too bad EM doesn't feel it's in their best interest to clarify things like that for their reservationists.

Mini2nut

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see one of 3 scenarios in regards to Elio Motors;

1)Elio Motors gets the loan and production will eventually begin.
2)Elio Motors closes the doors due to lack of funds
3)Elio Motors assets and intellectual property rights get purchased by another company for pennies on the dollar after Elio closes its doors.

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I see one of 3 scenarios in regards to Elio Motors;

1)Elio Motors gets the loan and production will eventually begin.
2)Elio Motors closes the doors due to lack of funds
3)Elio Motors assets and intellectual property rights get purchased by another company for pennies on the dollar after Elio closes its doors.
4. Elio gets private funding and builds the Elio and its a big hit.

Paul has said many times he don't count on government help and that he is rubbing elbows with big investors.

Personally, I never been fond of government intervening with private companies. I like #4 the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom