• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Jeff Johnson Interview - Autoline After Hours #347 - 9/16/16

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
REALLY enjoyed watching and listening to that interview, thanks Jambe.

Yeah, I think we are all fooling ourselves if are expecting the vehicle to come out exactly as has been described. The 0-60 time might be a little more than 9.6 secs, the availability of one of the transmissions might come later than the other, the weight might be more than stated, etc.

We should expect the low price, the high mpg, the safety being excellent, and the 90% North American content.

Loved hearing about a recent test that got them close to 83 mpg, I didn't hear if it was a simulation or a road-test. I thought Johnson did a great job through the interview, but there was one question where I hoped his answer had more substance.

The question was, how can you build this vehicle for under $10k when others are above $20k? The caller had trouble saying Bombardier I think.

Anyway, Johnson's answer might have included Paul's usual answer; that we just have less stuff: 1 door instead of 2 or 4, two bucket seats instead of that plus a back bench, a smaller footprint, etc. I also like Paul's story of when he was an engineer, and he came up with a way to save several cents (or was it $1-$2?) if a bolt was moved an inch, and how the manufacturer said "up yours, we're leaving it where it is". I get that Johnson was trying to explain just that... working with suppliers allows the cost to be kept low, but I think those not familiar with Elio Motors won't really understand what that means.

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It sounds to me like there's a good chance that Elio might divide the inclusive SIL list into two piles - those requesting the AMT, and those requesting the manual transmission - and your SIL would be honored relative to SIL holders in your respective transmission group.

Who's re-considering the AMT?! Haha
If they split the list so they can work on one trans equipped version and delay production of the other version they're gonna have a hell of a lot of pissed off reservation holders. They've always offered the choice, so I really think SIL numbers will be honored as set up now, there will be auto's and standard's rolling off the line simultaneously. The production line will have to be able to produce vehicles with either or no matter what. I can't imagine any reason to only be producing one versus the other.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey. Unless he knows something that we don't like "production starts tomorrow", why the anticipated delay with the auto tranny?
They've got months (or more) till the start of production. Is it really going to be that hard to light a flame under the tranny mfgs butt?

I really don't think there's anything to worry about because something just doesn't sound right about what Jeff said.

RonnieB

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
If they split the list so they can work on one trans equipped version and delay production of the other version they're gonna have a hell of a lot of pissed off reservation holders. They've always offered the choice, so I really think SIL numbers will be honored as set up now, there will be auto's and standard's rolling off the line simultaneously. The production line will have to be able to produce vehicles with either or no matter what. I can't imagine any reason to only be producing one versus the other.
He is VP of Engineering....as an engineer this tells me they are working on the automatic and the manual is ready to go now. With 9 months or more to go before launch I do not think the transmission is anything to worry about now. We need all the E Builds and plant tooling....transmission is a supplier issue and they have plenty of time.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What we "do" know...
EM is trying to use parts that are currently "IN production". The Aisin trans that is scheduled for use in the Elio is currently in widespread use around the world....both, manual version AND "AMT" version. Altho, I believe EM will be doing some "fine-tuning", they will NOT be doing major re-engineering. :)

Jeff H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Or we all could just be jumping the gun. This guy is an engineer, so the question may be, "Does AMT == Automatic Transmission?"
An Automatic Manual Transmission might not equal and Automatic Transmission in his mind. They asked when is the Automatic.

This is complete speculation on my part, but the AMT should not be a big deal. It's just getting the programming right for gear shifting based on the work already done for the manual. They might, "completely unannounced and internally" be thinking about a more standard automatic but not until AFTER production begins with the MT/AMT base design. Trying to get this done before launch, might stretch out too long and delay things.

I would just take a deep breath and remember that Paul and crew have done a pretty bang up job of planning for large scale production of an outstanding vehicle. IMHO, I don't think they'd promise something as intrinsic as this and not be able to deliver. Even though I am getting an MT, I highly doubt that I'll jump ahead of anyone getting an AMT and the production is not going to be delayed(as if that can actually be used, since I don't have a clue to what date they have in mind.).

Everyone is betting on Elio, I don't see a reason to change my mind.

Stay Calm & Elio On.

Top Bottom