• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Jeff Johnson Interview - Autoline After Hours #347 - 9/16/16

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No mention of the 100 completed vehicles before New Years. Hmmm
He was very careful to give only specs for the manual trans. Maybe the automatic part was computer controlling of a manual transmission.
Maybe he was thinking in that realm.
Looks like we may be driving about this time next year if the money is right.
MK

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
He did also make reference to the AMT "...operating WAY better/smoother than the early "Smart cars..."
Did he actually say this (or something close), or did my feeble mind make it up? :crazy:

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Or we all could just be jumping the gun. This guy is an engineer, so the question may be, "Does AMT == Automatic Transmission?"
An Automatic Manual Transmission might not equal and Automatic Transmission in his mind. They asked when is the Automatic.

This is complete speculation on my part, but the AMT should not be a big deal. It's just getting the programming right for gear shifting based on the work already done for the manual. They might, "completely unannounced and internally" be thinking about a more standard automatic but not until AFTER production begins with the MT/AMT base design. Trying to get this done before launch, might stretch out too long and delay things.

I would just take a deep breath and remember that Paul and crew have done a pretty bang up job of planning for large scale production of an outstanding vehicle. IMHO, I don't think they'd promise something as intrinsic as this and not be able to deliver. Even though I am getting an MT, I highly doubt that I'll jump ahead of anyone getting an AMT and the production is not going to be delayed(as if that can actually be used, since I don't have a clue to what date they have in mind.).

Everyone is betting on Elio, I don't see a reason to change my mind.

Stay Calm & Elio On.

Maybe this is why they took the link off Facebook.
Jeff may have gotten a little carried away.
Either way... I have emailed EM on this and am waiting for an answer.
He did also make reference to the AMT "...operating WAY better/smoother than the early "Smart cars..."
Did he actually say this (or something close), or did my feeble mind make it up? :crazy:
He DID make reference that it is MUCH better than the smart!

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If they are not going to offer the AMT in the Elio until later in the year,
it sounds like it is so far, turning out horrible in the Elio too.

Not really. He said that the gearing needs to be finalized.
No point in writing the shifting software until the gearing is set.
Extra testing for the gearing, weight, and power curve are all going to be required.

Remember, the AMT will likely INCREASE the MPG.

Good (better) things come to those who wait.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Atsok. I'm pretty close to being resolved to the manual. The automatic transmission in the Geo took FOREVER to accelerate,
But you could get the manual to push that little car down the road at a respectable pace from a resting position.
If you did it right, you could even chirp tire. There is no way I'm paying an extra $1050 for a transmission...
That others offer as standard equipment in cars made in India and Asia. I know EM needs profit but...

One of the major appeal factors about this miracle of modern manufacturing methodology is the price.

Top Bottom