• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Just Wow!!!

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With 99 horsepower, EM will have to use different front tires. It would not be good if half the time people step on the gas, the tires spin.

With different tires, it may need wider front wheel fenders.

Last edited:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is EM changing direction to include sportiness as a selling feature? With low gas prices, fuel economy is no longer the great selling point it once was. They may now be trying to move in the direction of performance, hence double the power.

I have read on websites the eco boost engine was expensive when introduced. While it may have come down in price, it probably still is more expensive. Perhaps EM will live with reduced profits on early deliveries, while gaining a reputation with the public. Then increase the price after "locked-in-price" deliveries have been made and the reputation has be established.

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With 99 horsepower, EM will have to use different front tires. It would not be good if half the time people step on the gas, the tires spin.

I'm not sure this will be a problem.
My 1984 Honda V65 Sabre put 100+ HP to the ground through one 130 width tire.
My 2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer (135HP at the crank) manages with one 150 width tire.
Obviously being motorcycle tires they have a round profile and pretty small contact patches.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You can't compare motorcycle traction with a front wheel drive vehicle traction. As the vehicles accelerate the center of gravity shifts to the back. Good for motorcycles but there is less weight on the front of a front wheel drive vehicle during acceleration.

Good example: My Jeep CJ-5 had 32" tall, 12" wide tires. It had a 258 straight six. It would not spin any tires normally. With the rear driveshaft removed it could easily burn the front wheels.

Now the Elio has a long wheelbase, which should help keep the weight over the front wheels. As we do not know the engine they will be using, we can only speculate that it may weigh a little more than the Elio design. May need different shocks/springs and other things to compensate.

One question might be what kind of pedal control will be used. Is it a mechanical or electrical design. If electrical, then the acceleration rate could be controlled by an on board computer.

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With my Turboed Insight, I have no problems with traction. It has 165X65X14 tires all around. The G1 is "Very similar" to the ELIO in measurements also.
You can definately feel the "torque steer" though when the turbo kicks in. TORQUE is controlled by the loose nut on the steering wheel.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

My bike has a single rear tire, weighs less than the front end of the Elio will weigh, and has more horsepower. Accidental spinning of the tire NEVER occurs.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is EM changing direction to include sportiness as a selling feature? With low gas prices, fuel economy is no longer the great selling point it once was. They may now be trying to move in the direction of performance, hence double the power.
My guess is no. It's awfully hard to sell a vehicle who's engine doesn't work well.
I think they found that the AVI engine was ever going to be worth a damn to begin with.

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back when smart was getting started in the US they just imported one engine. Rest of the world got a diesel, the gas engine we got and a turbo engine. Even when they imported the Brabus model, they did not include the turbo engine! Why, expense of EPA certification! Also, Rest of the world, Brabus got 16" front wheels!, we got 15" fronts. Why, expense of crash testing! The front wheels were said to be part of the crumple zone.
I don't know what it cost to get a engine EPA certified, but it ain't cheap!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back when smart was getting started in the US they just imported one engine. Rest of the world got a diesel, the gas engine we got and a turbo engine. Even when they imported the Brabus model, they did not include the turbo engine! Why, expense of EPA certification! Also, Rest of the world, Brabus got 16" front wheels!, we got 15" fronts. Why, expense of crash testing! The front wheels were said to be part of the crumple zone.
I don't know what it cost to get a engine EPA certified, but it ain't cheap!
Basically,

Costs

We project average costs of $30 per highway motorcycle to meet the 2006 standards and $45 to meet the 2010 standards. This increased cost is partially offset by a discounted fuel savings of about $6.50 per motorcycle due to keeping more gasoline in the fuel tank.

Further questions can be directed to:
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Office of Transportation and Air Quality
2000 Traverwood Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
E-mail: ASDInfo@epa.gov
Voicemail: (734) 214-4636

Top Bottom