• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Just Wow!!!

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like your optimism Larry, but you have a lot more faith than I do right now! Even with the latest release of information I still don’t have the same faith as I did back in 2015 when we met. I would have paid in full back then, but I’m needing some more positive news before I get my checkbook out again! I too am no Ford fan but I’ll take the Elio with any power plant available.

Yes but you are a young man and can wait for a while longer if you need to. I gotta get my Elio while they will still let me drive it!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Plus, if you don't like Ford, you can always pull it out and replace it with something you like.
I was thinking about Lotus, or maybe something a little more exotic :becky:

(I'm Lotus certified, and British Leyland so I have a few options).

ABC123

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Does anyone care to speculate on the engine shutting off at a stop sign or light? That is one of the efficiency gains touted in the eco boost videos. I experienced this with a rental car. You get used to it. In a hybrid, it's expected. In my Bronco II many years ago, it meant trouble.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone care to speculate on the engine shutting off at a stop sign or light? That is one of the efficiency gains touted in the eco boost videos. I experienced this with a rental car. You get used to it. In a hybrid, it's expected. In my Bronco II many years ago, it meant trouble.

I've seen the "eco boost" plaque on quite a few vehicles but never knew what it was about. If it means the engine stops when the car stops for a red light or whatever, then I have reservations. Here in Houston we run with our A/C 90% of the time and on those 100 degree days the last thing we want is for it to shut off every time we have to stop in heavy traffic.

Of course, all this is speculation, as none of us really knows what the engine will be. Someone mentioned in this thread "BMW". You make my mouth water! I said before, I would love to have an Elio with a 2 cylinder BMW 1200cc, boxer twin motorcycle engine. No real development needed, as it has been refined constantly since 1921. I've owned two boxers and they are wonderful. Of course, being mechanically challenged, I have no idea if putting one in an Elio would even be possible. I don't think I'll count on it happening. Whatever, they do, I hope it's soon.

resyyize.jpg

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Start Stop in hot and cold climates just means the engine will most likely stay running. It watches the HVAC temperature you put in compared to the temp inside the car. It'll keep it running. When it cools down, then start stop works just fine. I've rented a number of cars in the US and Europe that have it and never had a problem. Elio could easily do it because this is not the old days where getting systems like that to work, was a challenge. Each module can talk to each other via the CAN and that's why modern cars work so seamlessly. Also, most AC compressors today have no clutch on them any more. They run 100% of the time and just have a valve in them that controls the pumping volume of the compressor (that's why on new cars, you never feel the AC kick on).

Its like cars with push button start. You hit the button and that module takes over starting the car. Most cars with a key are the same it's that people don't realize it. You can take most key cars today and when you are starting it. The module does it for you.

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll guess we won't get all the bells and whistles. Probably the100 hp. Does ford have a no turbo version? If so we may not get a turbo.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ford sells lots of cars and there are other non-Ecoboost engines out there. They start at 70 hp and go up. The lowest powered Ecoboost is 85hp. Just go to the Ford Germany site and look under the Ka and Fiesta. You'll see the selections you can get. Just remember, Ford sells their products all over the world, so don't limit to just the US and what we get. Since the fords are on Euro-6 emissions, that's pretty much the same as the US. The Ford Ecosport (a CUV) has the 100hp Ecoboost engine in it and since Elio now has doubled the performance, that's the engine which Elio will use then.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll guess we won't get all the bells and whistles. Probably the 100 hp. Does ford have a no turbo version? If so we may not get a turbo.

Well, Elio did say it would nearly double the originally planned HP and there is an Ecoboost motor that makes 99 HP (and 123 HP and 140 HP), so that might be the one. You can get 100 HP per liter without a turbo, but it requires revving the motor higher and making power on the top of the power band which a lot of people are not used to, like the Honda S2000.

Looks like Fiat also has a three cylinder 999cc Multiair Turbo that makes 118 HP.

BTW, I was wondering why they said Fortune 500 instead of Fortune 100, so that got me thinking maybe it was someone smaller than we were speculating. Looking through the Fortune 500 list and I see LKQ at spot 300. Aha! That is how they are keeping the price down! Using LKQ to pull wrecked motors to use, genius!!!

LOL, kidding. It just made me chuckle when I thought of that.

But honestly, if I had known that the Elio power was getting bumped to 100+ I would have locked in at $7,000 easily. I was holding off since I have owned cars that did 0-60 in the 10s range and wanted more pep. That deal just got a whole lot sweeter!

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A 5 speed Mirage has 78hp and a curb weight of 2,073. 0-60 = 10.9 sec.
A 5 speed non turbo Fiat Pop had 101hp and a curb weight of 2,366. 0-60 = 9.7 sec.
A 5 speed Ford Ka with the 85hp motor and a curb weight of 2,220. 0-60 = 11.0 sec.

Top Bottom