• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Just Wow!!!

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did I miss something? "funding apparently solved." Really? Who says? About 5 months ago Paul said they were working on it. I don't remember anyone saying it was a done deal. If it is, then who's the money man? And regarding "what the customers want", exactly what is "the one subject that has been on everyone's mind." Please excuse me, I'll old and confused. Time for my nap....

I too must have missed something. I would think that if funding is solved, it would be shouted from the rooftops. I've seen nothing that leads me to believe that funding is even close.

His posts aren't exactly based in reality.
Take them all with a grain of salt...

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Could it be that the smaller engines with turbos work better (mpg) with variable valve timing than those that don't? It seems to me that on the surface that simpler should be more reliable, but technology (complexity) is permitting the performance increases in recent years. And yes, a few years of production allows bugs to be worked out. That is one reason why I have not put $1000 down for a spot in line. (I'm at the $100 level). I don't want the earliest production, but one after bugs have been found and addressed. There will be bugs and even with waiting a while there may still be bugs, but hopefully small ones easily taken care of.
Elio has long stated that all reservationists would be able to get a first year production model. Even the $100 want in people.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I seen that engine and talked to the engineers at the SAE conference I was at in Michigan. Probably the first experimental engine i have ever seen that looked OEM ready on the outside. Not like the Elio engine that had a way to go. This thing had everything placed and figured out with nice castings. I do know you could have funded a complete Elio project with what they have spent (the only did an engine and not a whole autocycle). They have a bunch of private backers and are privately held. I think they got the funding before the markets became broken and they figured out the ATVM program was going nowhere. It's good to see something that is complete different and could be disruptive technology, not just for the US market but globally.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score

This is an excellent article. Thank you Johnny Acree!

It shows the engineering, and the last part of the video, shows the obstacles including:
Cost, efficiency, emissions, and finding a(n) (OEM) buyer.

I've been watching similar technology for cars and airplanes for some time using gas and diesel and Jet A.
This design is, by far, the best of the group.

That said, even the video laments the idea of a new engine in the "fourth quarter" of the gasoline engines game.
Even with its increased (theoretical) thermal efficiency gains, will that transfer to actual measurable number on the road. I like the idea of no valves, but this is not the first attempt at it, and the problems associated have scuttled previous designs.

The vertical opposition design is likely due to fitting in present day pickup trucks with minimal modification. Although innovative, it will likely be a lubrication nightmare in addition to the constant threat of hydrolock like the old radial engines (due to oil leaking into the combustion chamber).

The long term viability of the gasoline is collapsing into smaller and smaller niches over time.
The evolution of these niches will be determined by the capacity evolution of batteries and (possibly) capacitors.

The brilliance of the Elio is that its cost:efficiency ratio and its massive range (over 600 miles if I remember correctly) will allow it to maintain its niche for 5-10 years while it has time to consider its options -vs- the electric and ICE competitors.

In the United States, the small car market is collapsing. The Tesla 3 outsold the Toyota Corolla (which I still can't get my head around).
This void is the absolute perfect place for the Elio to thrive.

Final note:
The article stated that the R&D was by ARAMCO... the oil producer.
Why would an oil producer want to make a more efficient gasoline engine?
Because they are running for their lives against the electrical revolution.
But that's a discussion for another time.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Final note:
The article stated that the R&D was by ARAMCO... the oil producer.
Why would an oil producer want to make a more efficient gasoline engine?
Because they are running for their lives against the electrical revolution.
But that's a discussion for another time.

I talked to them about this and got a good answer. I look forward to seeing what they do.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wish PE would take the Elio and show it off in Saudi Arabia. Not just the top guy in the royal family has money, many members of the royal family have money. Many of them like cars. Very few people in the world (including the royal family) have heard of the Elio. I am sure it would draw a lot of interest. It will still get a lot more mileage than the Achates engine and thus possibly keep the usage of oil continuing.

I hope PE is not so stubborn about "American" that he will let the project die first. No one like that should be a CEO in charge of shareholder's investment.

How much would it cost to ship the Elio to Saudi Arabia?

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wish PE would take the Elio and show it off in Saudi Arabia. Not just the top guy in the royal family has money, many members of the royal family have money. Many of them like cars. Very few people in the world (including the royal family) have heard of the Elio. I am sure it would draw a lot of interest. It will still get a lot more mileage than the Achates engine and thus possibly keep the usage of oil continuing.

I hope PE is not so stubborn about "American" that he will let the project die first. No one like that should be a CEO in charge of shareholder's investment.

How much would it cost to ship the Elio to Saudi Arabia?

Good idea. They might like it.

imhbhhage.jpg

Top Bottom