• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Kuam News "elio Motors: More Environmentally Friendly Than A Cow's What?" Posted 2014 04 21

Elf

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Found this story today and got a kick out of it. LOL

"
  • One cow produces 242 lbs of methane a year through burps and flatulence. Methane traps 20 times more heat than CO2 over a 100-year period. (SOURCE: Get Green Living) In a year, the average cow will emit 4,840 lbs of CO2 equivalent greenhouses gases.
  • Elio Motors vehicle, driven 20,000 miles, will emit only 4,500 lbs of CO2. So… the Elio is more environmentally friendly than cow farts.
So if a cow is a form of transportation you are considering right now, you'd better hold off and see if Elio Motors can make a car for you next year. No word if a cow fart comparison will be a new requirement for new car window stickers."
The calculations are about right .Keep in mind ,by the time the Elio is actually produced it's fuel source might be hydrogen .Now a cow may never run on hydrogen but cow patties can be recycled as fuel .If you were from west Tennessee you'd know all about cow patty fuel :D

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This topic made it to the forum before. It's truly stunning how bad the science education is in this country. Most dinosaurs had the same type of digestive system that modern cows do. Oddly enough in spite of the fact that they had way more time on Earth than the cows have had and their population numbers dwarfed that of the cow they didn't blast themselves out of existence nor was there any dinosaur made climate change.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
CO2 is stored naturally - in trees so burning a wood stove has zero effect on the CO2 levels because the tree absorbs it, fire releases it. Fire releases it, trees "consume" it. Nature takes care of itself. The fear is that we humans are releasing too much of natures "long term storage" CO2 (oil, coal, etc) and that, combined with having fewer trees to consume it (Not a HUGE portion but still.), we are raising the levels above what the natural system can manage without intervention. Now, I don't think that my little old Elio is going to make the difference nor am I completely convinced that we, as humans, can make that big of a difference. But I DO see the pollution over Albuquerque every day on my way to work and I know THAT can't be good for anybody. Stupid Cows. I think I'll go eat one. Well, part of one.

Elf

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wow dude those must be some good drugs....
Not really ,Honda ,Ford and Toyota will be selling preliminary hydrogen cars to consumers in this county late this year .I 'm an Industrial commercial contractor and we broke ground last month for hydrogen facility in southern Maine .
The European countries are going into panic mode on renewable energy .

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not really ,Honda ,Ford and Toyota will be selling preliminary hydrogen cars to consumers in this county late this year .I 'm an Industrial commercial contractor and we broke ground last month for hydrogen facility in southern Maine .
The European countries are going into panic mode on renewable energy .
There's no way the Elio will be running hydrogen unless you're willing to do away with your back seat.

Elf

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's no way the Elio will be running hydrogen unless you're willing to do away with your back seat.
Maybe not at first but the technology over the past 100 years will be dwarfed by what will happen in the next 10 .The Elio has three things going for it ,cute/unique ,cost and fuel economy .Fuel economy @84mpg is great by 2014 standards but maybe terrible by 2016 and beyond .Take one of Elio's three assets away and poof -

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe not at first but the technology over the past 100 years will be dwarfed by what will happen in the next 10 .The Elio has three things going for it ,cute/unique ,cost and fuel economy .Fuel economy @84mpg is great by 2014 standards but maybe terrible by 2016 and beyond .Take one of Elio's three assets away and poof -
LOL not in this universe! Not unless you know something I don't and the aliens will be here in the next 10 years to give us alien technology.

1) The Elio as it is today will never be alternative energy, at least in our life times with our technology. Batteries take too much space, a tank for liquified natural gas or hydrogen would nave to be constructed radically different than the gasoline tank to be of sufficient strength and again neither will fit in the available space.

2) Hydrogen will will sit with the public like....
hindenburg-omen.jpg

The public doesn't want electric cars, Chevy can't give the Volt away, and fewer still will want to muck with hydrogen. The big manufacturers may have plans to build the idiotic things but that's only an attempt to lower their CAFE number so they idiots in DC will let them build the cars people want to buy.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LOL not in this universe! Not unless you know something I don't and the aliens will be here in the next 10 years to give us alien technology.

1) The Elio as it is today will never be alternative energy, at least in our life times with our technology. Batteries take too much space, a tank for liquified natural gas or hydrogen would nave to be constructed radically different than the gasoline tank to be of sufficient strength and again neither will fit in the available space.

View attachment 929
The public doesn't want electric cars, Chevy can't give the Volt away, and fewer still will want to muck with hydrogen. The big manufacturers may have plans to build the idiotic things but that's only an attempt to lower their CAFE number so they idiots in DC will let them build the cars people want to buy.
Little trivia about that picture... hydrogen burns clear... jet fuel, like, oh diminished paint they used to coat the Hindenburg, burns bright. In the picture, it was actually the paint that burned so ferociously and basically ruined the luxury blimp fad. A hydrogen car that had a quick-swap tank would be pretty slick. It would be like pulling in to a Blue Rhino tank swap station. Plus, you could fill it at home by making your own hydrogen.... Now, about carrying around a tank of gas pressurized at 10,000 psi.... I'll pass.

Elf

Elio Addict
Reaction score

View attachment 929
Your one smart guy ,I'm impressed with your foresight .I'll be glad to set you up with our HR person .I think you'd be a great fit in engineering or R&D.

Top Bottom