• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Legal: Motorcycle License And Helmet Laws

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Joel Sheltrown, VP of Government Affairs, at Elio Motors just posted this update on Facebook:

Illinois Legislature passed SB3130 unanimously. Eliminates motorcycle endorsements for autocycles ( IL doesn't have helmet requirements)
CO just passed HB 1367 Unanimously. Exempts helmets ( CO requires 19 and under) and exempts motorcycle endorsements.
I love it when a plan comes together!
Bravo Joel Sheltrown! Great job! Thanks for posting goofyone. Oooh, there isn't any chance of their governors vetoing these is there? :-) Z

Reaction score
This is wonderful news. Hey Joe, How's it going with Ohio? Did we get the effective date changed on the helmet bill? Did they slip in passengers along with the operator of the vehicle. And how's it going with our licensing. Don't forget 'The Novelist and under eighteen needs to be included. I know your working on this. Just asking for an update.

Reaction score
Borrowed from another forum:

"The AAMVA (American Association of Motor Vehicles Administration), the authority on best policy for all state DMV's and Licensing Bureaus, is recommending the Elio be driven with a standard driver's license."

"The AAMVA also recommends a motorcycle plate be used on the back of the Elio, instead of the larger automobile plate, since the Elio will be registered as a motorcycle or an Autocycle. Utilizing the motorcycle plate will help drivers avoid problems with HOV lane enforcement and tolls, which have different requirements for motorcycles."

This could be good news for Elio and its' potential customers..

Ray
This the only reason I know with the a central government works in my favor.

Debbie Bruce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is wonderful news. Hey Joe, How's it going with Ohio? Did we get the effective date changed on the helmet bill? Did they slip in passengers along with the operator of the vehicle. And how's it going with our licensing. Don't forget 'The Novelist and under eighteen needs to be included. I know your working on this. Just asking for an update.
I just got my motorcycle endorsement. It was no big deal at all, infact it was easy. I studied 3 days for the written test, A friend of mine taught me how to ride his little twenty plus year old Honda 350 in one day, I aced the rider course. You don't have to show up at the dmv with a full dress 1000 pound hog, just about any small scooter over 50cc is all you need. The dmv told me anything under 50 cc is not allowed to take the test. There were people taking test in small 150 cc scooters that a baby or granny could handle, btw one of them told me they rented the one they used for testing for $35.00. I know there are some states that require longer training and it could be a pain and expense, Harley charges about 400 dollars to take their course.

Velnias

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I just got my motorcycle endorsement. It was no big deal at all, infact it was easy. I studied 3 days for the written test, A friend of mine taught me how to ride his little twenty plus year old Honda 350 in one day, I aced the rider course. You don't have to show up at the dmv with a full dress 1000 pound hog, just about any small scooter over 50cc is all you need. The dmv told me anything under 50 cc is not allowed to take the test. There were people taking test in small 150 cc scooters that a baby or granny could handle, btw one of them told me they rented the one they used for testing for $35.00. I know there are some states that require longer training and it could be a pain and expense, Harley charges about 400 dollars to take their course.

You did the right thing. It only requires a vehicle that would require the endorsement in the first place. Most states it's anything over 50cc with 2 or 3 wheels and street legal. Florida was the first state to require new riders to take a safety course to get their endorsement. In PA, the MSF course was free to all PA licensed drivers. Typically, the ones being done on military bases is also done at no cost to military, or so I've been told.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Getting a motorcycle endorsement maybe very simple (I mean, I got one), but keep in mind that there is a huge demographic of retirees who would love to have an inexpensive car to make those grocery runs, bridge club meetings, etc. who may be physically incapable of forking a motorcycle. Elio can't just ignore that segment.

Debbie Bruce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You did the right thing. It only requires a vehicle that would require the endorsement in the first place. Most states it's anything over 50cc with 2 or 3 wheels and street legal. Florida was the first state to require new riders to take a safety course to get their endorsement. In PA, the MSF course was free to all PA licensed drivers. Typically, the ones being done on military bases is also done at no cost to military, or so I've been told.
I know first hand that Florida is a pain and it's like a 6 week course, Alabama you don't even take a test , just pay the extra few bucks for mc endorsement when renewing drivers liscense.

Top Bottom