• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Legal: Motorcycle License And Helmet Laws

rjhope

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I am finally convinced. I want to go all in but I have one concern. Will I need a motorcycle license in PA. or FLA. ? I am going to retire in the next year or so (living in PA.) and have a home I just bought in FLA. for my move south. I really don't need a motorcycle license and don't want to get one at this stage of my life. This car/cycle would be perfect for my retired life. Thx

Moderator Comment: Merged into existing license thread

Last edited by a moderator:

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am finally convinced. I want to go all in but I have one concern. Will I need a motorcycle license in PA. or FLA. ? I am going to retire in the next year or so (living in PA.) and have a home I just bought in FLA. for my move south. I really don't need a motorcycle license and don't want to get one at this stage of my life. This car/cycle would be perfect for my retired life. Thx

Welcome to the forum rjhope from Florida. Here's a couple document to take a look at. One is the AMVA best practice reccomendations. and the other is about Elio's progress. I don't believe you will need a motorcycle validation in either state.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/11/19/proposed-rule-change-could-bring-about-new-wave-of-3-wheel-evs/

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...stration-policy-recommendation-232389671.html

Last edited:

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome :)

MASCMAN

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I am not really sure how this is going to work out as far as licensing.

They want it to be insured as a cycle because its cheaper, can run in HOV lanes, less EPA restrictions, etc, but then want every state to waive helmet laws and things like that. Just not sure how it is going to play out. I have a class M so the only thing that concerns me is if I can get the cheaper motorcycle insurance.

Here in Pa, you can get a permit without actually riding a bike. You can renew it several times...think its $10. Only downside is you would need a helmet while on a permit and no passanger or riding after dark.

You could get a permit and just roll with that...untill you move to Florida. Dont give them a reason to pull you over and who would be the wiser?

Who knows, you may not even get an Elio until you move to Florida!

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am not really sure how this is going to work out as far as licensing.

They want it to be insured as a cycle because its cheaper, can run in HOV lanes, less EPA restrictions, etc, but then want every state to waive helmet laws and things like that. Just not sure how it is going to play out. I have a class M so the only thing that concerns me is if I can get the cheaper motorcycle insurance.

Here in Pa, you can get a permit without actually riding a bike. You can renew it several times...think its $10. Only downside is you would need a helmet while on a permit and no passanger or riding after dark.

You could get a permit and just roll with that...untill you move to Florida. Dont give them a reason to pull you over and who would be the wiser?

Who knows, you may not even get an Elio until you move to Florida!
I really think you are way over thinking this. Elio Motors is working on all these issues and will have them resolved by the time we get our Elios. Sit back and relax and let them take care of it. If they need our help they let us know who to contact and how. I trust them to know how to do their job and that means a lot less stress in my life. :-) Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi and welcome from Oregon, rjhope. We have at least a year for EM to get these issues resolved and I am convinced that is going to happen. It is much easier and healthier to sit back and enjoy the ride. They will contact us if they need us to contact officials to get these issues taken care of. I hope you will relax and enjoy this exciting journey to Elio production and ownership. See you next year in my 2015 Elio. :-) Z

AllIn5450

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome rjhope. As a FL resident, all i can comment on is this,
I just stopped by my Polaris Slingshot dealer yesterday in Fort Pierce, FL to talk about my upcoming Slingshot.
He told me that Florida has "basically" 3 types of licenses.
#1. Auto/CDL for driving auto's and larger vehicles. Multiple classes covered under same category, Class A, B, C, D and E, yada yada.
#2. Motorcycle Endorsement, which covers 2 wheeled and 3 wheeled vehicles, so it allows you to operate both motorcycles and 3 wheel "trikes".
#3. A trike endorsement, which allows you to operate a 3 wheel vehicle, but not a 2 wheel motorcycle. I was not personally aware that FL had these.
He is also lining up the classes required for getting the 3 wheel endorsement, claims you will be able to use the 3 wheel vehicle for the test.
As I already have a Class A CDL with motorcycle endorsement, I can drive anything, so no worries for me. But the wife will have to get the trike endorsement if she wants to drive them. From what he "sarcastically" said, it is basically a "pay me and here is your endorsement" type of thing as most people already know how to drive a car, and all knowledge will transfer to a sit in 3 wheeler with a steering wheel like the Elio and Slingshot. Everything "should" be common sense, but that is getting rare these days.
Also, as FL is a helmet optional state, wearing one is totally your call in both the slingshot and Elio. Although wearing one in a Elio would be crazy in my opinion. And i will not be wearing one in my slingshot. Just eye protection. Helmet only for "hold my beer and watch this" type of stuff, :eek:

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While not speaking for all states, I would note that If required obtaining a motorcycle (M) on your license at Any age is not all that difficult or costly. Here in Illinois the test is a Whopping 12 questions of which you were allowed 2 wrong (101 common sense basic) and the trike test was to show them your lights work, drive in a circle without falling off and go in to get your license. Depending on your DMV (always fun) it took me less than 30 minutes to get the license edited with an "M". If this license is required in your state try not to read to much into it. There are no hill climbs, moto jumps, or wheelie tests. Just a bit of your time and of coarse a few dollars to add this capability (1) time. I have had to retake the written test (1) time in 25 years. Small no sweat effort for driving an Elio. Looking at the positive side, you can use this negative as a positive when friends and family ask to take it for a test drive. "Sorry, you need to have a motorcycle license!" Lol.

While not speaking for all states, I would note that If required obtaining a motorcycle (M) on your license at Any age is not all that difficult or costly. Here in Illinois the test is a Whopping 12 questions of which you were allowed 2 wrong (101 common sense basic) and the trike test was to show them your lights work, drive in a circle without falling off and go in to get your license. Depending on your DMV (always fun) it took me less than 30 minutes to get the license edited with an "M". If this license is required in your state try not to read to much into it. There are no hill climbs, moto jumps, or wheelie tests. Just a bit of your time and of coarse a few dollars to add this capability (1) time. I have had to retake the written test (1) time in 25 years. Small no sweat effort for driving an Elio. Looking at the positive side, you can use this negative as a positive when friends and family ask to take it for a test drive. "Sorry, you need to have a motorcycle license!" Lol.
Not true here in Florida. You have to take a course, before you can take a test. I've been told it cost between $100 to $150 to take a two day course. Then you can apply for a motorcycle endorsement test and the fees associated with that. I too already have a motorcycle endorsement, but if I didn't, I might have dismissed the Elio knowing I would have to go through all that to drive it. But, as Zelio said, they will probably iron all that out before the first Elio comes off the line.
Eligibility Requirements For a Motorcycle Endorsement
  • You must be at least 16 years old.
  • You must have no traffic convictions for 1 year if you are under 18 years old.
  • You must have at least a regular Class E driver license.
  • You must complete the Basic Rider Course, regardless of age.
  • Florida Rider Training Program (FRTP)
    Every motorcycle rider must complete a basic motorcycle safety course before obtaining a motorcycle endorsement or motorcycle-only license. The course must be one that is approved by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF).

The FRTP offers the safety education classes:
    • Basic RiderCourse (BRC): Entry-level skills for responsible riding. Training includes starting, stopping, turning, swerving, and cornering. Bikes, safety gear, and handbooks are provided. You'll need at least a Class E learner's license to

Last edited:

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If it turns out you need a motorcycle license to drive your Elio, I would suggest getting it in PA. before you move to Florida. It is probably easier to get your endorsement up there with just a test.
When you apply for your Florida license, you can transfer you PA mc endorsment to your Florida license without having to take a course if it is on you PA license.

Top Bottom