• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Legal: Motorcycle License And Helmet Laws

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am finally convinced. I want to go all in but I have one concern. Will I need a motorcycle license in PA. or FLA. ? I am going to retire in the next year or so (living in PA.) and have a home I just bought in FLA. for my move south. I really don't need a motorcycle license and don't want to get one at this stage of my life. This car/cycle would be perfect for my retired life. Thx

Very happy to have you as a member of our Elio Family!

WELCOME, rjhope!

EastCoastCentralFla

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm thinking/hoping this time next year when Elio's start coming off the assembly line this mess will be cleared up. Don't you have to operate your motorcycle through a course before certification? That would be like sure man let me get in my trike and crank up the air so it's nice and cool and then you want me to do what exactly, drive my car err ah motorcycle where? This may prompt a whole different classification of vehicle in the US. In my mind it's a car.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking/hoping this time next year when Elio's start coming off the assembly line this mess will be cleared up. Don't you have to operate your motorcycle through a course before certification? That would be like sure man let me get in my trike and crank up the air so it's nice and cool and then you want me to do what exactly, drive my car err ah motorcycle where? This may prompt a whole different classification of vehicle in the US. In my mind it's a car.
Most motorcycle dealers will let you borrow a small bike to take your test in hopes that you would buy a bike from them. I've heard you can also take your test on a Can-Am.

rjhope

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Lots of info, thx all. Sounds like it more difficult to get the license in Fla and Pa then I thought it would be. Maybe I should only go all in for $100 for now and see if things change with the licensing issues, sort of bumming me out. Good thing I asked you guys.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am finally convinced. I want to go all in but I have one concern. Will I need a motorcycle license in PA. or FLA. ? I am going to retire in the next year or so (living in PA.) and have a home I just bought in FLA. for my move south. I really don't need a motorcycle license and don't want to get one at this stage of my life. This car/cycle would be perfect for my retired life. Thx
where in florida?

rjhope

Elio Fan
Reaction score
4. Classes of license.
(3) Class C - A Class C license shall be issued to those persons 18 years of age or older, except as provided in Section 1503 (relating to persons ineligible for licensing) who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any single vehicle with a gross vehicle rating of not more than 26,000 pounds... The holder of a Class C license shall be authorized to drive a motorized pedacycle or a three-wheeled motorcycle equipped with an enclosed cab, but not a motorcycle unless the license is endorsed.

I found this in the pa vehicle code, appears you don't need a mc license what do you guys think

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
4. Classes of license.
(3) Class C - A Class C license shall be issued to those persons 18 years of age or older, except as provided in Section 1503 (relating to persons ineligible for licensing) who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any single vehicle with a gross vehicle rating of not more than 26,000 pounds... The holder of a Class C license shall be authorized to drive a motorized pedacycle or a three-wheeled motorcycle equipped with an enclosed cab, but not a motorcycle unless the license is endorsed.

I found this in the pa vehicle code, appears you don't need a mc license what do you guys think
I got my motorcycle endorsement back in Colorado, but when I turned in my Colorado license for my Florida one after retiring here, they asked me if I wanted to keep my mc endorsement on my Florida license, which at that time the clerk just typed it on my new licence. No test, no course to take.

Top Bottom