• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Legal: Motorcycle License And Helmet Laws

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's no way I'd ever buy a car requiring a helmet! Good that Mass. will not require this but I do wonder if I were to go to a state that did require it would I have to wear one while in state?? In my opinion this is a car NOT a bike.. I sat ON my bike when I rode it not IN it.. You have protection in the Elio unlike any motorcycle I have ridden.. Just my 2 cents..

Ray

Last edited:

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just saw this news article;

"Elio Motors now seeking to change Miss. helmet law"

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/view...lio-Motors-now-seeking-change-Miss-helmet-law

I think the company really wants/needs to be able to market "no helmet needed in all 50 states."

More importantly, if the company had any internal doubts about actually building this car, they would certainly NOT be spending time working to change laws in the remaining 5 states (especially a lower population state like beautiful Mississippi). I am a believer from the start, but it is good to see this welcome sign.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AZ SB1201 | 2014 | Fifty-first Legislature 2nd Regular
inShare0
Arizona Senate Bill 1201

AZ State Legislature page for SB1201 - [Resync Bill]
Status
Action: 2014-02-26 - Referred to House TRANS Committee
Pending: House Transportation Committee
Text: Latest bill text (Engrossed)
HTML:
[/U][/URL]

[SIZE=5][B]Summary[/B][/SIZE]
Autocycles; class M license; exemption[/U]

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Further on Bill AZ SB1201 | 2014 House Trans[portqation Committee voted
on 03/13/13 100% "Yea". I think it now goes to the floor for a House vote, The
Senate already passed the Bill 29 Yea ; 1 NV.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been in contact with Joel Sheltrown, VP of Government Affairs, at Elio Motors and he email me the information for an "auto cycle". I will be meeting with my local state representative to help add this to my state's statute.

We can all helping make it easier for this new vehicle become a reality.
You can also go to the AAMVA website and download their "Best Practices for regulation of 3-wheel vehicles." (I believe it is 17 pages.) They also have a 5:40 Youtube video demonstrating the differences between 3 wheel motorcycles and the autocycle. Elio is used in the video as an example of the autocycle. This is the organization that state DMVs go to to get Best Practices advice for motor vehicles. The working document and the video were from October 2013. The chairman of the group is from Oregon which is probably why Oregon's law is so simple and so clear. An Elio will be licensed as a motorcycle but the driver does not need a helmet or a motorcycle endorsement.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You can also go to the AAMVA website and download their "Best Practices for regulation of 3-wheel vehicles." (I believe it is 17 pages.) They also have a 5:40 Youtube video demonstrating the differences between 3 wheel motorcycles and the autocycle. Elio is used in the video as an example of the autocycle. This is the organization that state DMVs go to to get Best Practices advice for motor vehicles. The working document and the video were from October 2013. The chairman of the group is from Oregon which is probably why Oregon's law is so simple and so clear. An Elio will be licensed as a motorcycle but the driver does not need a helmet or a motorcycle endorsement.
I'll embed the video here..

Ray

Velnias

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
There absolutely needs to be a new classification for these types of vehicles. By forcing them to be classified as a motorcycle they are setting people up for failure. Imagine if you are a young kid who is looking for their first vehicle and you don't have your license yet. You find this type of vehicle, love everything about it, and decide to get it. You're told that you need a motorcycle endorsement for it. In most states you can get a motorcycle endorsement w/o having automobile first. Now if you go to the MSF course and get your motorcycle license there, and get this type of vehicle, you will have absolutely no clue what you're doing. This vehicle has nothing in common with a motorcycle (I should know, I ride motorcycle). It sits like a car, it drives like a car, it's operated like a car, it has the typical safety standards and creature comforts of a car. The ONLY thing keeping it from being a car is one missing wheel.

We should not only help them on a state by state level, but should also work on getting a federal ruling on the issue to have an official new class of vehicle be made - the autocycle. This way, federal standards can be drawn up for guidelines as well as the ones from the AAMVA. Elio is not the first of it's kind, nor will it be the last. We are seeing more and more 'autocycles' being designed for the future and it's time for them to have their own classification and set of standards that local governments can understand and utilize.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There absolutely needs to be a new classification for these types of vehicles. By forcing them to be classified as a motorcycle they are setting people up for failure. Imagine if you are a young kid who is looking for their first vehicle and you don't have your license yet. You find this type of vehicle, love everything about it, and decide to get it. You're told that you need a motorcycle endorsement for it. In most states you can get a motorcycle endorsement w/o having automobile first. Now if you go to the MSF course and get your motorcycle license there, and get this type of vehicle, you will have absolutely no clue what you're doing. This vehicle has nothing in common with a motorcycle (I should know, I ride motorcycle). It sits like a car, it drives like a car, it's operated like a car, it has the typical safety standards and creature comforts of a car. The ONLY thing keeping it from being a car is one missing wheel.

We should not only help them on a state by state level, but should also work on getting a federal ruling on the issue to have an official new class of vehicle be made - the autocycle. This way, federal standards can be drawn up for guidelines as well as the ones from the AAMVA. Elio is not the first of it's kind, nor will it be the last. We are seeing more and more 'autocycles' being designed for the future and it's time for them to have their own classification and set of standards that local governments can understand and utilize.
Actually Elio has a staff member who specializes in governmental affairs. I agree with everything you say but government moves at a very slow and cumbersome rate. There is a gentleman on here who has written letters to every governor in the country and to the President. His letters are posted on the site but I'm not sure where. Some of us are also doing what we can to help. We all want this to happen although there are some skeptics. They are, however, in the minority, thank goodness. I can tell you are a good addition to the group. :-) Z

Velnias

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Actually Elio has a staff member who specializes in governmental affairs. I agree with everything you say but government moves at a very slow and cumbersome rate. There is a gentleman on here who has written letters to every governor in the country and to the President. His letters are posted on the site but I'm not sure where. Some of us are also doing what we can to help. We all want this to happen although there are some skeptics. They are, however, in the minority, thank goodness. I can tell you are a good addition to the group. :) Z
Oh trust me, I know how slow our government can move. Especially right now with how split it is within itself, but I'll keep off the topic of politics since that's a heated debate.

Another way we can try to help is through petitions to show support for this, and bring awareness to DMVs as well as the governments. That AAMVA will be a very useful tool to help each state see just how much different this is than a motorcycle.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh trust me, I know how slow our government can move. Especially right now with how split it is within itself, but I'll keep off the topic of politics since that's a heated debate.

Another way we can try to help is through petitions to show support for this, and bring awareness to DMVs as well as the governments. That AAMVA will be a very useful tool to help each state see just how much different this is than a motorcycle.
I know I would like to see the auto cycle get its own vin system but I don't see that happening anytime soon because that is done by the federal government. I am lucky that the chairwoman of the AAMVA committee that wrote the Best Procedures (I think that is what it is called) for 3 wheeled, fully enclosed vehicles, is from Oregon. Our law states the vehicle will have a motorcycle license but the driver will NOT need a motorcycle endorsement or a helmet. At least that is a start. The Elio does have a motorcycle vin right now. :) Z

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It should not be classified as a motorcycle yet we NEED it to be. Elio needs to come in under the radar as a motorcycle so it can be brought to market without first having to jump through the same regulatory hoops that new cars do. Let the Elio come to market and THEN let it get reclassified after initial production is going smoothly. Let's not delay the introduction by a couple years by being classified as a car just yet. That's like my 2 1/2 cents worth right there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom