• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Legal: Motorcycle License And Helmet Laws

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Very interesting thoughts. I have been riding and driving for about the same number of years(54). I honestly don't feel that I will have any problem transitioning to a 3 wheeler.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Very interesting thoughts. I have been riding and driving for about the same number of years(54). I honestly don't feel that I will have any problem transitioning to a 3 wheeler.
I understand from one of the early videos, that the most difficult transition is sitting in the middle to drive. It is easily adjusted to but going back to a 4 wheel with seat on left was more confusing. LOL :-) Z

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I understand from one of the early videos, that the most difficult transition is sitting in the middle to drive. It is easily adjusted to but going back to a 4 wheel with seat on left was more confusing. LOL :) Z
I hadn't thought much about that, but I have no problem going from the bike to the truck/car.

Velnias

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I hadn't thought much about that, but I have no problem going from the bike to the truck/car.

My only hangup on going from car to bike is feeling limited in the car. On the bike I have my choice of how to utilize the lane, right side, left side, middle, back and forth depending on the situation. I also feel that I can see more around me with little to nothing to block my views. In the car I have blind spots, even to the front because of the pillars that go to the roof. I have had people walking be invisible to me because they were in just the right spot that I couldn't see them past one of those pillars. I also feel that I can avoid more on the bike than I can in the car due to the handling of each.

But again, this is all just my own experience and opinion.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My only hangup on going from car to bike is feeling limited in the car. On the bike I have my choice of how to utilize the lane, right side, left side, middle, back and forth depending on the situation. I also feel that I can see more around me with little to nothing to block my views. In the car I have blind spots, even to the front because of the pillars that go to the roof. I have had people walking be invisible to me because they were in just the right spot that I couldn't see them past one of those pillars. I also feel that I can avoid more on the bike than I can in the car due to the handling of each.

But again, this is all just my own experience and opinion.

Being a good motorcyclist I drive in either the left or right side of the lane to avoid the oil slicks in the center as well as to improve visibility forward.

With the elio your head will be in the middle of the lane and I suspect it is likely that your sight lines forward will be either blocked by the car in front of you or at best have a very limited view through their windows.

I think elio drivers are going to have to drive with a greater distance between them and the vehicle in front of them simply because we won't be able to see as much down the road. Except for the bozos that steal that space leaving extra room is not a bad thing. In fact, having extra room between the elio and the vehicle in front will mean more space to chew up as you pray the bozo in back of you isn't texting, yacking, or otherwise not paying attention to the elio in front of them.

Velnias

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Sometimes being the middle is also necessary to avoid things in the road. This is why the lane is divide into 3 sections instead of just 2. It's one of those things where you have evaluate everything around you and figure out which is the safest option for each situation and moment as things around you change.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sometimes being the middle is also necessary to avoid things in the road. This is why the lane is divide into 3 sections instead of just 2. It's one of those things where you have evaluate everything around you and figure out which is the safest option for each situation and moment as things around you change.
Many of us having been doing it for so long that it is an action rather than a thought process.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Joel Sheltrown, VP of Government Affairs, at Elio Motors just posted this update on Facebook:

Illinois Legislature passed SB3130 unanimously. Eliminates motorcycle endorsements for autocycles ( IL doesn't have helmet requirements)
CO just passed HB 1367 Unanimously. Exempts helmets ( CO requires 19 and under) and exempts motorcycle endorsements.
I love it when a plan comes together!

Top Bottom