• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Legal: Motorcycle License And Helmet Laws

Paul DeCrans

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Wish I could get a definitive answer on NY. I originally had NY down as no MC license needed (verified by someone) but then Elio Motors said on Facebook that a MC license IS needed.

Current states requiring a MC license: AK, GA, HI, IA, MD, ME, MN, MO, MT, NY?, RI, SD, UT, WV, and WY. Utah is about to be taken off this list.
Minnesota does not need a motorcycle license

Charles Stanley

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
We are good in Georgia. There was already an exemption for us having to wear a helmet written in some of the Ga Codes. I have it bookmarked, code 40-6-315 read exemption (c). As for having to have a MC license, that will be no problem soon. The legislative branch in GA already passed the bill related to it. It was passed to the Transportation Committee a few weeks ago. I have no way to follow where that is at at this time. But I see no reason it will not go through and into effect by the time we have our Elios.

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from DoD on what their policy will be on autocycles? For motorcycles, most military installations require boots, jacket, reflective vest, gloves, and a helmet.

Reactions: Ty

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from DoD on what their policy will be on autocycles? For motorcycles, most military installations require boots, jacket, reflective vest, gloves, and a helmet.
I would hope they follow the lead of what most of the states have already done. But with DOD there's no telling.

Once we get closer to Elio's actually rolling in the streets some of us might want to contact the public affairs office at our local bases and get the issue up on their radar.

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Once we get closer to Elio's actually rolling in the streets some of us might want to contact the public affairs office at our local bases and get the issue up on their radar.

I went ahead and emailed both Public Affairs and Safety at Keesler AFB. Asked them if they're received any guidance so far about autocycle's on DOD installations. Figured with as slow as the USAF/DOD is to change it might be a good idea to get the issue up on their radar now. Will report back if I get a response.

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully there will be clear language about what requirements must be met. Elio seems like it will be easy to lift restrictions on, but something like the Arcimoto, where it is in a roll cage and has seatbelts, but is not fully enclosed and has no air bags... Doesn't make sense to require a jacket, gloves, reflective vest, or boots in my opinion. Helmet... well.. not sure. Probably not since your are strapped in and the extra weight from a helmet during a sudden stop/front impact would not do your neck any favors.

My rule: If it has a windshield, roll cage, and seatbelts with no foot pegs, it gets car treatment. ;)

Top Bottom