• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Lets Ask Elio To Do A Natural Gas Vehicle

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As soon as I get my first Elio, then let all the variations be developed: battery, natural gas, diesel, solar, wind power, and pedal powered.

Ok, only serious on the first 3.
Actually I hope they wait until they're well established before they start fooling around. I want then to still be there when I need repair parts.

Proud to be

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know how to tell them about it, but it would be great. $1.50 per GGE in OKC
I asked the Elio Team a few months back, if a Elio with the new engine could switch between gas and propane/natural gas fuel, because in some area's across the US, natural gas/propane is cheaper then regular gas...

They did not say it could not be done, they just said for right now, for the price of $6800 it could not be done...But they did say that in the future the tech could change, and they may have a model/adaptor for a propane/natural gas fuel system... THIS IS NOT A FACT! it is just a wish, with a little bit of hope...

In Portland... gas is $3.51 propane is $2.35... I could see using propane/natural gas for in town use and then regular gas for on the long road trips, when I go to the different Elio owners members road trips across the US...

Proud to be... an Elio owner... #2225

Doni

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I don't even know where I'd fuel up with that version. I think they have enough on their plate just getting this version to market.

Chris F

Elio Addict
Reaction score
About 100 yards from my office is a station that sell gasoline, diesel, CNG and E-85. I don't know how widespread CNG availability is outside of this; never noticed any other station selling CNG in my area.

Farm Boy

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I asked the Elio Team a few months back, if a Elio with the new engine could switch between gas and propane/natural gas fuel, because in some area's across the US, natural gas/propane is cheaper then regular gas...

They did not say it could not be done, they just said for right now, for the price of $6800 it could not be done...But they did say that in the future the tech could change, and they may have a model/adaptor for a propane/natural gas fuel system... THIS IS NOT A FACT! it is just a wish, with a little bit of hope...

In Portland... gas is $3.51 propane is $2.35... I could see using propane/natural gas for in town use and then regular gas for on the long road trips, when I go to the different Elio owners members road trips across the US...

Proud to be... an Elio owner... #2225
Its not that easy to switch between a liquid fuels like gas and a fuel that's under pressure like LP Hydrogen and CNG [compressed natural gas]. The two have completely different types of fuel tanks & fuel fill requirements not to mention the fuel delivery system on the engine isn't any were close to being the same. Dont get me wrong, I like the idea, but it would have to be one or the other. I don't think you could incorporate both in one car. But look at it this way, at the price of $6800 or even $1000 more, you could by 2 Elio's and still have less money invested than you would have in just one of some other alternative fuel car. Twice the fun at half the cost!
P.S. In some places they don't have the same road tax on LP CNG or Hydrogen as they do on gasoline, its usually less.

Top Bottom