• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Lets Help Em Find $500.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Here's the thing. Paul Elio is the world champ, Guiness-book record holder, of finding manufacturing cost savings. We are not going to second guess him or find ways to squeeze a nickel the way he does EVERY DAY. Last summer I was told by Jerry Vassallo that they were within $100 of their target $6800. I haven't seen any information contradicting this, though conditions change and something may have taken a drastic upward bounce.

So I'm back to questioning the premise of this thread. Who said Elio were $500 over target? When? Where published. Saying "several blogs" is useless because they all feed off each other. The press seldom researches hard enough to verify what others publish.

Paul Elio made this statement again at the electronics expo the tour is visiting this weekend .... I was told the same thing by Jerome on Dec 6 in Charlotte .... I do agree that Paul is the world champ in this area .... I suspect (nothing whatsoever to base it on other than its what I'd do) he is hedging his call a bit to allow room for the fact that I'm sure some of his suppliers can't give him a final price on items that may not be ordered for weeks/months/a year from now

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Optioned-out, I'm expecting about $9500.

On FB/Eliomotors a guy asked what monthly payments would be. I looked it up and posted the following--just in case anyone is wondering what the monthly payment might be.

If you borrow $8000 for a 3 year loan at 3% interest the monthly payment will be $232.65. If you only have to borrow $6000 your monthly payment will be $174.49.

Just FYI.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Realistically the Elio is pretty minimalist as it is. I really don't see anything that is enough fluff that we can do without. As I see it EM has made a big deal out of the standard equipment list as well as the big 4 goals. To comprise on any would cause the company to lose face and consequently cause customers (US) to lose confidence. I can't believe Paul is going to allow his baby to be butchered over $500.00. Hopefully a little more negotiations with suppliers may help. Otherwise IMHO EM would eat the $500.00 and make it all up in options.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For many years the Honda Civic base model (the DX) came without factory A/C. If you wanted A/C it was dealer installed or you could buy the A/C kit and do it yourself. About $900.00 in 1990. The best installation kit I've ever seen but still not for the faint of heart. So an optional A/C while possible is not a good idea. Took me 2 days IIRC. Each of the Elio distribution centers would probably need an additional 50 technicians just for A/C installations. Not good.

TexasElio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's the thing. Paul Elio is the world champ, Guiness-book record holder, of finding manufacturing cost savings. We are not going to second guess him or find ways to squeeze a nickel the way he does EVERY DAY.

I have serious doubts that Mr Elio will receive any special pricing concessions from suppliers...component pricing is based on unit volume...past order histories...having a strong financial balance sheet...and a strong credit rating...

At present time... Elio Motors has none of the above...they're an unproven start-up...so the suppliers hold all the cards...and will dictate the pricing...

Hard to negotiate without a "checkbook"...and a idle production faculty...

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have serious doubts that Mr Elio will receive any special pricing concessions from suppliers...component pricing is based on unit volume...past order histories...having a strong financial balance sheet...and a strong credit rating...

At present time... Elio Motors has none of the above...they're an unproven start-up...so the suppliers hold all the cards...and will dictate the pricing...

Hard to negotiate without a "checkbook"...and a idle production faculty...
Good afternoon! Wouldn't it have been ideal if suppliers were willing to partner with startup Elio Motors and work with him in meeting the $6800 target price. Suppliers probably want to know if there is actually any market demand for the Elio before negotiating special pricing concessions. Elio Motors seems so far off from meeting their 1st year max pre-production sales volume numbers. image.jpg

Tough word for the day: Woebegone.

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Elio Motors seems so far off from meeting their 1st year max pre-production sales volume numbers.

not on EM's books .... their 1st year pre-production sales volume numbers don't stop accumulating until they decide to bring them to an end .... that kind of stacks that stat in their favor .. o_O

Top Bottom