• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Lets Help Em Find $500.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lost sleep last night thinking about the A/C. Completely understand and agree that in some climates that A/C is an essential.

But a number of climates are OK without A/C. A basic transportation vehicle does not require A/C, its a 'nice to have' and remember how many vehicles in the past never had A/C.

Personally, I have a 40 year old basic small car that does not have A/C and never came with it from the factory. Would not want it either because of the power loss and neither do most of the other 20,000 owners of similar cars (Porsche 914 2.0L). Anyone considered the effects of what the A/C will do to the Elio performance and gas mileage? It could turn an already under powered vehicle into a dog. Say goodbye to 84/49 mpg, probably 20% less. You think 55 hp is slow off the line, how about what is effectively 40hp? If the Elio gets a reputation for being a dog, then goodbye to its popularity.

What if the Elio was designed to accommodate an A/C system, that could be added easily by PepBoyz or others as an option? The A/C is not a complex system, its a few bolt on hardware items, some wired controls, 2 refrigerant lines, and pressure charging the refrigerant lines. If the Elio was designed and set-up to accept this package system so it was a simple bolt on process, it could be considered optional, and we could reach the pricing goal, maybe even reduce the initial cost below $6,800.

So there you have it, a $6,800 vehicle, A/C if you want/need it, no A/C if you don't, no worries.

AC use is part of the EPA mileage numbers. It will most likely come with an off switch that will allow you to live without it. I find AC useful even in the colder months around here to dehumidify the air in the interior of vehicles from breathing and tracked in snow melting... You don't want it don't run it. Leave the basic package alone, simple. Price adding AC to your car today if you believe it is such a simple thing to retrofit.

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Bolting on an A/C system that is predesigned to fit a vehicle as an optional accessory is a much easier task than installing an aftermarket generic A/C into a vehicle never designed for A/C like a vintage car, so the expensive aftermarket retrofit A/C system into a vehicle that needs to be modified to fit it is an invalid comparison.

A vehicles ventilation system allows outside air intake into the cabin, and recirculation within the cabin, that typically includes a heat source in the airstream - an airsteam which is simply airflow at faster vehicle speeds, and fan assisted where needed.. The ventilation system consists of ducting and valves that direct that air flow into the cabin, direct it at the glass for defrosting or at the feet etc as the occupant needs. Adding heat to the airstream can be switched either on or off. A/C is a just a cool air source (by removing heat from the airstream). Just because on modern vehicles one pushes a a button labelled "A/C" on the dash to get window defrosting does not mean that by eliminating the A/C system components, that the defrosting function is also deleted. You'll still have heat, and windshield defrost capabilities, with or without A/C. Heated air is actually what is needed for defrosting function, not cold air.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Bolting on an A/C system that is predesigned to fit a vehicle as an optional accessory is a much easier task than installing an aftermarket generic A/C into a vehicle never designed for A/C like a vintage car, so the expensive aftermarket retrofit A/C system into a vehicle that needs to be modified to fit it is an invalid comparison.

A vehicles ventilation system allows outside air intake into the cabin, and recirculation within the cabin, that typically includes a heat source in the airstream - an airsteam which is simply airflow at faster vehicle speeds, and fan assisted where needed.. The ventilation system consists of ducting and valves that direct that air flow into the cabin, direct it at the glass for defrosting or at the feet etc as the occupant needs. Adding heat to the airstream can be switched either on or off. A/C is a just a cool air source (by removing heat from the airstream). Just because on modern vehicles one pushes a a button labelled "A/C" on the dash to get window defrosting does not mean that by eliminating the A/C system components, that the defrosting function is also deleted. You'll still have heat, and windshield defrost capabilities, with or without A/C. Heated air is actually what is needed for defrosting function, not cold air.
Partly correct. Using the Ac compressor is how vehicles dry the Air that then defrosts your windshield. I'd challenge you to find a modern car that doesn't run the a.c. compressor when defrosting the windshield.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Got to have AC. IMO

With the Elio being so narrow, a driver would be almost always exposed to Sunlight. A little cooling down is definately called for. Windows down at highway speeds all the time is nice, but usually digs into the milage. (I still plan on window tinting for mine)
AC in the Winter does multiple things, it dries out the air in the vehicle, providing comfort, as well as displacing condensation inside the windows as the car sits and cools.
By running AC when the defroster is on, it keeps the seals and O rings in the AC system lubricated as well!
The dash assembly will undoubtedly be one design. Including the AC plenum as part of the design for ALL Elios, just makes sense to me, as two seperate systems for heating and AC uses much more (and limited) room, and would probably not be as efficient.

To save though,, humm. How about a smaller rear wheel cover? Just large enough for the plate to be attached, unless you opt for the larger full cover?

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The way we do it at work (reduce cost) is to pit the vendors against themselves. Contract goes to the lowest bidder (that meets spec requirements of course). They do it every couple of years.

Example: We have these little titanium shims, about the size of a nickel, that were costing Boeing $525 each :eek:. We had $40k worth of the little buggers in stock because they are "as required", and we normally didn't require them. They finally got around to re-bidding them, now we're getting them for $3.25 each.
Here's the thing. Paul Elio is the world champ, Guiness-book record holder, of finding manufacturing cost savings. We are not going to second guess him or find ways to squeeze a nickel the way he does EVERY DAY. Last summer I was told by Jerry Vassallo that they were within $100 of their target $6800. I haven't seen any information contradicting this, though conditions change and something may have taken a drastic upward bounce.

So I'm back to questioning the premise of this thread. Who said Elio were $500 over target? When? Where published. Saying "several blogs" is useless because they all feed off each other. The press seldom researches hard enough to verify what others publish.

So -- what EXACTLY is the source of this claim? Really, if Elio were that far off, we'd have heard about it before now. And if they were that far off, they wouldn't be clinging to the $6,800 number like limpets to a rock, which they are doing. They'd be back-pedaling.

It's late, late, late in the design phase to suddenly pull a $500 rabbit out of the hat. So, without authoritative word from EM, I am inclined to ignore this whole kerfluffle.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
NO A/C ?

NO WAY ….
YOU CANNOT HAVE A MODERN CLOSED VEHICLE WITHOUT A/C ..
IT IS NOT JUST CLIMATE CONTROL, IT IS ALSO DEFROST ANF DEHUMIDIFY !
THE VEHICLE WILL BE

$10,000.00

GUARANTEED
DEALER PREP AND TAXES AND DELIVERY ….
Optioned-out, I'm expecting about $9500.

Top Bottom