• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Licence Plates

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The choices for motorcycle plates in my state are fairly lame. While they Have all kinds of cool choices for cars the only special ones are the universal veteran or Chicago sports teams (of which here's none I'm fond enough of to give the government extra money for).

The best that can be said about the vet one or the standard one is that they won't detract from the vehicle no matter what the vehicle color.

That said anyone got better choices on their state of got any cool plans for theirs?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The choices for motorcycle plates in my state are fairly lame. While they Have all kinds of cool choices for cars the only special ones are the universal veteran or Chicago sports teams (of which here's none I'm fond enough of to give the government extra money for).

The best that can be said about the vet one or the standard one is that they won't detract from the vehicle no matter what the vehicle color.

That said anyone got better choices on their state of got any cool plans for theirs?
Oregon's is also very uninspiring - sort of dark yellow with blue letters/numbers. Even the "vanity" plates are the same. There was an earlier thread on this somewhere here where someone mentioned a frame that was led and I think there was also one that you could change what it said. They may have been one and the same but I'm not sure. The first license plates in Oregon are for four years so it is a major financial investment - at least to me ($96). After the first 4 years the renewal is every other year. The one advantage we do have is no sales tax so all I have to plan for is the license plate and other fees. And of course the trip to Shreveport to pick up my Elio. LOL :-) Z

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
My state offers the standard plain motorcycle plate and a blue ridge parkway plate (which I'll be getting).
GetPlateImage?PlateID=142.jpg

Given that the Elio has space for a full size plate, I hope the law changes so that I can use my full size blue ridge parkway plate which I paid for just past year at a cost of $60

Last edited:

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ouch, plate renewal costs plus vehicle taxes over that time period plus inspections wouldn't even be half that.
Unfortunately Illinois occupies the worst spot on almost every list, Top or bottom depending on if you're listing worst to best or best to worst. The only one beating us out is Cali.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Worst tax rate for cellphone service is in Washington (state not dc) at 24.20%, but Illinois is #5 at 21.42%. Winter Park FL is even worse, with local taxes 27.5%!!!

Cellphone taxes were largely set a couple decades ago at the luxury rates when only business executives etc. had them.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I WISH! In 4 years If I do nothing special I'll have spent over $500!
OK guys. After reading all your posts I will admit my $96 doesn't sound like a lot. I have lived in California and hated that annual non-tax tax. I suspect, however, that I live at a much lower income level and my income is fixed. I will not volunteer to trade places with any of you. :-) Z

I bought my only specialty plate in Idaho - it was a bluebird and very pretty. It now resides on display on the wall in the Roseburg DMV office.

Velnias

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Here in Florida, just the initial registration fee, plus plate cost, taxes, title, and other fees can run you over $400 just to register a vehicle for the first time here. :( Oh and they only do one or two year registrations that renew on your birthday, even the initial one. After that the renewal fees average around $50 or so a year. :confused:

Top Bottom