• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Life After The 2017 Introductory Model... How About The Elio Ii?

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Most of my interest in a different model would come down to increasing the amount of space it can hold (without increasing the amount of weight it can carry). That would make it a mini-car worthy of delivering balloons, pizzas, or drugs, among other things, but it would still never replace trucks and vans for carrying (or towing) anything heavy. Every idea I have, though, would alter the aerodynamics, and most would tend to reduce the mileage in other ways too. Once you accept a less efficient vehicle though, you can do lots of styles (convertible, hatchback, flatbed, pickup, etc). I imagine something with a roof that's flat instead of sloping downward, and a tailgate that folds down (like a station wagon) might sell.

Being in Las Vegas, I've actually thought a bit about how to make the elio into a unique limo, for people who want lots of attention rather than anonymity. That picture looks great. You'd need a giant car to bring five friends with you plus luggage, but if it's just you and a date going to an awards dinner, an elio limo would be a real novelty.

For one thing, changing body panels to give it more squarish contours, borrowing style elements from cadillac or bentley, would give it a more recognizably limo look.

Also, I've often wondered why movie stars put up with limos (and cars) that make them crawl out of the car and then stand up. Wouldn't it be more photogenic, or modest, or graceful, or regal, if they could stand up straight before stepping out? An elio might actually have a bit of advantage when it comes to adding a roof panel that tilts or slides out of the way. Because the roof is narrower and there's no door on the other side, there could be lots of reinforcement and chassis stiffening built into the frame.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
An elio might actually have a bit of advantage when it comes to adding a roof panel that tilts or slides out of the way. Because the roof is narrower and there's no door on the other side, there could be lots of reinforcement and chassis stiffening built into the frame.
Do you mean like a WWII fighter?
[Broken External Image]

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Nah, all my ideas involve the roof sliding or tilting to the right side in some way, and the door itself completely unaltered. Because of the wheels sticking out in the front, and no door on the right, the elio has a bunch of 'dead space' along the right side that neither motorcycles nor cars have. It's kinda unique.

The fighter-style roof has its attraction, but anyone going for that tends to end up with a 'convertible hardtop' instead. I assume there are practical reasons for that.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nah, all my ideas involve the roof sliding or tilting to the right side in some way, and the door itself completely unaltered. Because of the wheels sticking out in the front, and no door on the right, the elio has a bunch of 'dead space' along the right side that neither motorcycles nor cars have. It's kinda unique.

The fighter-style roof has its attraction, but anyone going for that tends to end up with a 'convertible hardtop' instead. I assume there are practical reasons for that.

I was thinking it would be cool to carry a bicycle on the starboard side. Alternately, I'm thinking about a retro-looking spare tire holder. We're still not sure if "the bump" is going to be on the production model or not, though.
("the bump" refers to the side exhaust on the red P5 prototype).

But I love your idea of a side-sliding roof! Who says it needs to slide back like every other thing in existance? As long as it doesn't obscure side vision too much, I think it would be pretty slick :D

voyager

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This picture is more relevant here than it is in the thread "Does the Elio need to sell in high volume?"

tesla%2B%252B%2Belio%2B%25283%2529.jpg

voyager

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What type of crash are you talking about? Side-impact in the front section? I don't see any benefit when the Elio is hit by an oncoming vehicle. The whole point is that you can achieve stability also by having the body tilt during cornering... then bring the wheels in-board.
More expensive though... and probably discussed in this forum too already.

neumann.jpg

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The wide stance in the ELIO is for stability. The outrigger wheels will absorb a lot of the impact in a crash, like a "crumble zone", that is also for safety.
The author of the article takes Elio to task because "it's still clogging up roads because of its wide stance". His proposed "New iSetta" is a measly 12" narrower. (Elio: 72", "New iSetta": 60") Not like that's a huge improvement. With US Interstate highways minimum lane width of 12', I wouldn't want to risk trying to drive side-by-side. And you can't make the lanes on existing roads narrower due to the need to accommodate existing vehicles. And even if you could, you'd only be trimming about one foot off the lane, because his proposed vehicle is only about 1 foot narrower. You'd have to have an 11-lane road in order to restripe it to 12 smaller lanes.

I'm not saying his idea is bad. It looks kind of interesting. But it is far from the panacea he is peddling.

Top Bottom